cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV Outlook Add-in Network traffic

ukrort
Level 2

We have been monitoring outlook performance since installing Enterprise Vault add-in and notice extra network activity. When a HTML message is opened or viewed in the preview pane we have noticed that the EV client queries all HTTP addresses from that HTML message. Apart from adding an extra overhead if a message contains an invalid HTTP address then the DNS query will hang the client for several seconds. I need to provide a reason for these DNS queries or a method to disable it/improve performance. Can anyone help? This occurs on items that do not meet our criteria to archive.

We noticed the network traffic using wireshark. If we disable the EV add-in no DNS queries occur

Thanks for any help

5 REPLIES 5

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
This is something that might fit with what I worked on a while ago

Are these items you're referring to non-archived items?  And they "complex" messages with URL's to images on the internet and so on?
Working for cloudficient.com

ukrort
Level 2
Yes that sounds very similar to the issue we see. Did you find the cause or cure?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Do you use Internet Explorer Proxy Autoconfig Files?

ukrort
Level 2
Yes. we have them pushed out via GPO

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Well it is the same issue as the one that I worked on, and unfortunately at the moment there is no cure.  You see when the Outlook Addin makes a call to a URL, it passes the parameter to the WinAPI function call saying "use IE defaults", this means that the PAC file will get used.  In testing we've done with Microsoft, Outlook doesn't do it's calls like that.

I can send you a PM with the Etrack reference number in it, and I can add your customer details to the Etrack, if you like?  [Just let me know in reply to the PM].  At the moment though there are many higher priority defects in front of this, so it's not got a fix timeframe at all yet.