cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV PSTDisable and PSTDisableGrow.... which to use?

CadenL
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello again!

So I want users to be able to open and use any existing PST files that have but not be able to create any new PSTs or not be able to add any new items to their existing PST's.

EV outlook add-ins are yet to be deployed for these users, but due to some environmental constraints I want to ingest these users PSTs manually. There aren't that many and so doesn't need any third party tools, but I do want to take a 'copy' if the users PST and ingest it (probably via EVPM). So once I have the copy I need to avoid the user adding any new content into their PST or even create new ones that I might then miss (so effectively, ahead of taking a copy of their PSTs, I need to set any existing PSTs to 'read only' and prevent any new PSTs being created). Once the PST has been ingested then we'll go around and delete them all.

From what I've read it would seem that PSTDisableGrow would prevent uses from both adding items to existing PSTs and alow creating new PSTs but I'm not sure if it will also prevent a user from mounting and existing PST?

I know I need to add the PSTDisableGrowAllowAuthenticodeOverride setting once the EV Add-in has been deployed

thanks C

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

dcVAST
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Are you doing client driven? If it's only a few PSTs you can also import them through the VAC.

PSTDisableGrow is what you want to be set. Set PSTDisableGrowAllowAuthenticodeOverrides like you said once the add-in is deployed so they can open shortcuts etc. When you enable PSTDisableGrowAllowAuthenticodeOverrides, it does not mean that users can create new PST files, or add items to existing PST files. PSTDisableGrowAllowAuthenticodeOverrides only enables the Outlook Add-In to perform these actions.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

dcVAST
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Are you doing client driven? If it's only a few PSTs you can also import them through the VAC.

PSTDisableGrow is what you want to be set. Set PSTDisableGrowAllowAuthenticodeOverrides like you said once the add-in is deployed so they can open shortcuts etc. When you enable PSTDisableGrowAllowAuthenticodeOverrides, it does not mean that users can create new PST files, or add items to existing PST files. PSTDisableGrowAllowAuthenticodeOverrides only enables the Outlook Add-In to perform these actions.

CadenL
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Many thanks for the quick reply.

I think I've got it understood now. Although the DisablePST option doesn't allow for new PST files to be created it also won't allow for existing PSTs to be opened - so this doesn't give me what I need. 

As you say, PSTDisableGrow is the way to go as although it will actually allow the user to create a PST file it doesn't allow the user to add any content to it or add any content to any of their existing PSTs.

And of course I need the overide to be configured to allow EV to be able to recall items correctly.

many thanks