cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV Retention Category Issue

Ratt_507
Level 4
I have EV 11.0.1 & EMC Centera, Retention Category 6 months for items stored on EV and having Centera Settings:- ========================================================================================= Enterprise Vault Settings:- Retention Category: Retention Name Retention Period: 6 Months ========================================================================================= Centera Settings:- Class Name: 1 Years (Safe) ========================================================================================= If i make the changes in Retention Period from 6 months to 1 month what would be the impact on old/new items. Also shall i make the changes in Centera settings from EV or not in same case (allow delete after 1 month)? As per my understanding new Items will get the new retention stamp but how Centera behave in this case? Also please correct if i'm wrong,with current setting EV will allow to delete items after 6 months and Centera after 1 year? Thanks for your help .........
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello again.

Using a Centera complicates life a bit, but here is my attempt for explanation.

You define in EV a retention category (A=6months). You store that on Centera, which has a Retention Class of 1 year. If EV starts expiring items after 6 months, the Centera probably does not allow removal of the item, until after a year. This means the items are removed from the indexes after 6 months, but not from the Centera. this will fill your EV eventlog with warnings (items cannot be deleted from storage due to retention setting or something like that).

If you change retention category A in EV to 1 month, it will apply to ALL items, including those already archived. The Centera retention doesn't change. If you create a NEW retention category (B=1month), then items archived with that B category get a month, the rest keeps 6 months.

In regards to the Centera, it depends on what compliance level is chosen (complianc lock is not changeable), but that is somethign DELL EMC can assist with.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello again.

Using a Centera complicates life a bit, but here is my attempt for explanation.

You define in EV a retention category (A=6months). You store that on Centera, which has a Retention Class of 1 year. If EV starts expiring items after 6 months, the Centera probably does not allow removal of the item, until after a year. This means the items are removed from the indexes after 6 months, but not from the Centera. this will fill your EV eventlog with warnings (items cannot be deleted from storage due to retention setting or something like that).

If you change retention category A in EV to 1 month, it will apply to ALL items, including those already archived. The Centera retention doesn't change. If you create a NEW retention category (B=1month), then items archived with that B category get a month, the rest keeps 6 months.

In regards to the Centera, it depends on what compliance level is chosen (complianc lock is not changeable), but that is somethign DELL EMC can assist with.

Regards. Gertjan

Thanks, Gertjan

This is a good explanation, but I have one small correction. In your example, the items would not be removed from the indexes after six months.

When EV is about to expire an item, it checks whether the storage device (Centera or any of the others that have some hardware retention component) will allow the deletion of the item. If it will not, then EV does not do any of its deletion routine for that item. The item's index, database record, and partition data all stay intact as a result of the device's refusal to allow deletion of the partition data.

And it's never a bad time to read over the most thorough guide to EV and Centera retention.

--Chris

Thanks Chris.......