cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV Retention Question

dineshnegi
Level 5

Where the messages goes once the retention period completed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If Storage Expiry has ran and deleted the messages your only option would be to restore from a backup into a lab environment to get the messages you wanted. 

It is very important to define your retention policy\expiry plan to avoid scenarios like that.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

They don't go anywhere until expiry runs, at which time they are deleted.

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Refer to below articles for more information on storage expiry

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO37177

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/gentle-approach-storage-expiry

dineshnegi
Level 5

Can we restore items after after retention period completed

A_J1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Dineshnegi,

I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish unless you tell us the entire story.

Retention period is assigned to an items so that it will stay in EV till the retention perios is completed.

Once retention period is expired, Storage Expiry(If Set) will go head deleted items from EV.

If storage expiry is not Set. Then the items stays in EV and you can restore these items and they won't get deleted as the deletion process i.e storage expiry is not set.

I hope this helps !!!

TonySterling

If Storage Expiry has ran and deleted the messages your only option would be to restore from a backup into a lab environment to get the messages you wanted. 

It is very important to define your retention policy\expiry plan to avoid scenarios like that.

Prone2Typos

I think people (even some that work for SYMC on EV) have had some confusion about this for some time. Just to set it straight I will add an area I think confuses people. When you set an indefinate retention alone... you can still delete the item. If your retention has passed... but the ret cat prohobits items from being deleted .. it will not be.

Legal holds, legal interests, compliance hardware, archive permissins, and a site setting can all prevent deletions as well.

Expiry on the other hand is the setting used in conjunction with the retention period and the storageexpiry process. THis permits you to age out items that are no longer required. It complements the idea of data management and that keeping stuff forever could put an organization at risk ... because they are liable for whatever data they have . Defensible deletions are a big deal these days.

I know I got a little off topic... but I cannot tell you how many people I have seen lower retention ages in an effort to delete items off NTFS... who should have known better.

I hope this heps and you recall to note whoever helped you here and close down the topic when you get all you need from it.

Regards.

j