cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV - Separating Journal & Mailbox archiving

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I have a site with a single EV server performing both Journal and Mailbox archiving - and the load is too much for the server.  SQL is located on another server.  Both servers are Virtual - VMware.  EV is at 10.0.4, Windows is W2K8R2 and SQL is 2K8R2.

I want to split off the journal archiving to another server, thereby lightening the load on the original server.  What is the procedure to do this, regarding re-locatiion of indexes, partitions etc. ?

Thanks,

AJ

4 REPLIES 4

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

I suspect the Index folders are intermingled with the mailbox archive indexes.  Moving the taks is easy.  A couple questions:

1.  Do you have separate vault stores for the Journal and Mailbox archives?

... if yes, then you can just move the Journal vault store from one server the to new server

... if no, then you'll need to create a new VS on the new server and move the Journal archive(s) to it using move archive.

2.  The Index folders will need to be copied to the new server

...a)  Put them in back up mode

...b)  copy the index folders

...c)  user the admin gui to change Index locations

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Separate Vault Stores - YES  How do I move the vault store ?  It will still reside on the same SQL server.

Indexes are intermingled - do I just copy all indexes and then update the locations where in the GUI ?

Thanks,

AJ.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

check out this technote for more info. yes, it will still reside on the same SQL server (if that's what you want.)

How to move a Vault Store and Vault Store partition to a different Enterprise Vault (EV) server in the SAME site.

alternatively, you can leave everything where it is, build your new EV server, stop the Journaling task on the old EV server, create the new journal vault store, archive, etc on the new EV server and just pick up where you left off. all the journaling pressure will be relieved from your old server and any new journaling activity will only be on the new server. if there's ever eDiscovery or other reasons to go back to old journal data, you'll have the advantage of reading from multiple servers, multiple index services, and it might actually be faster.

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

On the indexes, yes, you can put them in backup mode (no new changes), copy them to the new locations and then update in the GUI.  You can run SQL queries to see which index folders to copy/move.