cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV Server 3rd party backup Powershell script

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

Hi,

Can anyone share here your pre and post backup powershell script to securely and successfully backup Enterprise Vault server v8.0 SP4 and above using 3rd party backup application ?

from my understanding I just need to backup the EV server VM using any 3rd party VSS aware backup application, but then it is not enough.

Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

DGomez

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

FreKac2
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

As Andrew states it doesn't matter which version of EV or OS you're using, you have to turn EV into RO-mode to make sure you have a consistant backup.

The tech note you refer to is just to generate the scripts to be used as pre/post commands.

The only option you have to not use the scripts is to use Netbackup or Backup Exec with the EV Agent, as the agent will deal with backupmode through the agent. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Refer the following document

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH66742

Also refer the related documents in the above techote.

Hopefully this answers your queries

FreKac2
Level 6

Here are some simple examples for a 32 bit OS server (check the .doc for the path difference).

These are just the EV specific parts, e.g. you may want to add a sql backup command to the pre-script.

You need to replace whatever is surrounded by <> including the <> characters, if you want to do it on a site level, refer to the docs for the syntax.

If you're going to do snapshot backups you can't use the Archive Bit as trigger for replacing original items with a shortcut, you have to use a trigger file.

So in the post script add a line like (in the root for each partition that you backup, obviously you need to edit the path :) )

echo >> "F:\EVStorage\Mail Store Ptn1\IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.txt"

Pre-Script:

PowerShell -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {set-vaultstorebackupmode '<VAULT STORE GROUP NAME>' <EV SERVER NAME> vaultstoregroup; set-indexlocationbackupmode <EV SERVER NAME>}"

Post-Script:

PowerShell -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {clear-vaultstorebackupmode '<VAULT STORE GROUP NAME>' <EV SERVER NAME> vaultstoregroup; clear-indexlocationbackupmode <EV SERVER NAME>}"

Br,

Fredrik

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

ok, on second thought, I thought this requirement was removed by our most recent version of EV?  We used to have these scripts in place yet removed them once a particular service pack for EV went in.

I'm using EV 8.0 SP4 so just wondering if this is still required ?

JesusWept3
Level 6

The requirement will be for all versions of EV going forward.
Previously it was done via registry keys (such as EnableArchive etc) and whilst those still can be used today, you will get a warning saying that they are legacy and will be removed in future versions of the product.

A requirement for going in to read only/backup mode however will never go away, and for now powershell will be the programattic method of putting EV in to backup mode....the only other way to do it is through the VAC but for a backup routine it is not viable at all

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

Thanks Jesus,

I was just under the impression that it is no longer required, but then the article from: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH66742

Enterprise Vault for Microsoft Exchange -> 8.0 -> 8.0 SP4 (still needed) but.....

Environment

• Microsoft -> Windows Server 2003 -> Standard Server SP2

but mine is Enterprise ?

how about EV 9 does it still needs to do this ? or if the underlying OS is Windows Server 2008 does it needs this powershell script as well ?

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

dushan, you need to put EV into backup mode regardless of the EV version and regardless of the OS.

FreKac2
Level 6

As Andrew states it doesn't matter which version of EV or OS you're using, you have to turn EV into RO-mode to make sure you have a consistant backup.

The tech note you refer to is just to generate the scripts to be used as pre/post commands.

The only option you have to not use the scripts is to use Netbackup or Backup Exec with the EV Agent, as the agent will deal with backupmode through the agent. 

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Just a quick note if you go the backup agent route - You'll want to check the compatibility list with Netbackup or Backup Exec with the EV Agent to make sure your version of backup software will work with your version of EV.

James_Winslow
Level 5

No Dushan, it will still be required even until SP5

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

@James, Well let's hope that you are right james, because I prefer installing SP5 rather than implementing pre/post backup script.

from the article that Rahul sent: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH66742

it doesn't say anything about EV 8.0 SP5 so I take that up until SP4 the script is needed, cmiiw I better upgrade to Sp5 rather than creating some script which could break the system or the backup process. 

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

There were changes made in the backup procedure from  Ev 8.0 onwards and it had remain same for all the versions of Ev 8.0 and also it is same for version 9.0 as well... So if youa re upgrading to Ev 8.0 sp5 the backup procedure would remain the same which would be using the powershell scripts.