Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV Setup For High Availablility

EVIsExciting
Level 3
Partner
Hi Folks

I am working on developing installation instructions for EV in High Availibility scenario. If any of you have done this sort of installation anywhere can you please verify?

Production Site : 1 EV Server, 1 DA(Discovery Accelerator) Server, 1 SQL Server, Storage on SAN

DR Site: 1 EV Server, 1 DA(Discovery Accelerator) Server, 1 SQL Server(Replicated from Production SQL using log shipping) , Storage on SAN (Replicated from production SAN using VVR)

Installation Procedure

1. Configure SAN Data replication using VVR

2. Install & Configure EV & DA in prod environment.

3. Configure SQL Replication

4. Stop EV & DA Services in production

5. Stop SAN replication

6. Change SQL, EV & DA DNS aliases to DR Site

7. Bring up SQL in DR environment from log shipping

8. Install EV in DR site, but do not run configuration wizard.

9. Open EV Console and point to existing Directory, all the configuration is present and EV ready to execute.

10. DA must NOT present Config option, instead is ready for use.

Above is very high level installation steps that should be followed. What I am looking for is any flaws in this technique. I have been through HA & Building block recommendation from symantec but it always assumes there is 1 SAN & 1 SQL shared by both the site. Which is completely different to what we are trying to achieve.

Can any of you EV gurus please verify and recommend any changes to these steps if needed?

Appreciate your help.

5 REPLIES 5

MirrorSphere
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Just by having a brief look at your steps then I think you need to consider the following:

The DR machine name is going to be different from your production side.  Even though you have aliased the server off there will be MSMQ entries in some of the directory database for the old server name.  So an entry will have to be there for removing these.  (e.g. ArchivingRetrievalTask for one)

You will also need to run the Configuration and point it at the directory database.  It will state that this server is part of a site but its services need repairing, blah, blah, etc.  Once the services are reparied you can come out of the wizard.

I would also consider whether this High availability approach is going to provide you with just "Read" or "Read / Write" capabilities.

Obviously, if you are requiring "Read / Write" then there is the extra complexity of replicating the EV data the other way.

Hope this helps.

EVIsExciting
Level 3
Partner
Hi

Thanks for your response.

I haven't really understood what you meant by "So an entry will have to be there for removing these.  (e.g. ArchivingRetrievalTask for one)" How can this be achieved? I thought MSMQ was external and EV on DR would automatically create appropriate queues when archiving task starts. Do you mean deleting some records from directory database?

Understood about running the configuration wizard and point it at the directory database. Makes sense.

Yes, this HA approach is to provide read & write capabilities.

Replicating data the other way from DR to Prod will be taken care off by VVR.

Once again thanks for your response.

MirrorSphere
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Sorry should have made myself clearer.  All I am saying that in terms of your procedure you will make sure that you clear the old server name MSMQ entries before repointing at the Directory database to repair the server.

Hope it all works out. 

EVIsExciting
Level 3
Partner
Understood, Thanks

algo77
Level 3
Hi

From my testing for DR site on VMware

First time to configure EV DR, I always change field ComputerNameAlternate in Computerentry table in  EV directory DB to DR servername before starting configure DR and point to SQL to repair database.
Then starting console and go to vault store properties to change SQL server manully.

But when I want to use my DR after SQL data has been updated and replicated from production server.
I cannot to simply follow the first time procedure which are
1. Changing ComputerNameAlternate to DR servername
2. Starting EV console and change SQL server manully of vault store properties.
It always keep serching for SQL server without stopping

*** This is problem in my testing Env so pls make testing in your env also u may or may not find this issue ***

So I my solution is to build up sql script using osql utility which u can find info in Microsoft web for more info
to update 2 fields before starting EV services on DR 

1.ComputerNameAlternate in Computerentry table
2.SQL server in VaultStoreEntry table

and Pls aware that every time you replicate from production to DR or DR to production these 2 fields always change to the original where EV is activating.

So I usually recommend my customer to set DR as read only to reduce SQL update issue.