cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV Storage

EVGarrison
Level 5

Hi Guys,

We have been running EV on a SAN we have had for a while, the Vault stores are on SATA 7200 disks.

We are looking at getting some new storage soon and we are thinking of getting a new tray and moving the archives onto some 15k FC stuff.

From a performance perspective, can anyone talk from expereince and say if the extra expense is worth it.

I understand its not a straight forward answer, we have a pretty short archiving window, anything old that 60 days gets archived so people are resting regularly.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i can tell you that one of the primary value propositions of EV is moving "archiving" older data (email, files, sharepoint, etc) from expensive primary disk (SAS/FC) to cheaper secondary disk (SATA). it's definitely recommended to put your indexes and sql databases on high speed disk. the slower spindles have been sufficient for the archived data in all the scenarios i've worked in over the years. so in summary, it's not worth the extra expense.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i can tell you that one of the primary value propositions of EV is moving "archiving" older data (email, files, sharepoint, etc) from expensive primary disk (SAS/FC) to cheaper secondary disk (SATA). it's definitely recommended to put your indexes and sql databases on high speed disk. the slower spindles have been sufficient for the archived data in all the scenarios i've worked in over the years. so in summary, it's not worth the extra expense.

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

I generally agree with Andrew.  With an archive period of 60 days there should be very little recall activity from the archives.  You can run some reports to get a true picture of your user's access activity.  Also, if you are using virtual vault this activity will be even less.   For the most part, and especially with a 60 day archiving policy I'd say that the extra expense could be better used for other purposes, not vault store storage.

EVGarrison
Level 5

Thansk for your input guys, answered my ceoncerns perfectly...

Regards