cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV and Antivirus

Chad_Petrie_2
Level 4
We are currently running EV 6 SP3 and CA 6.0.

We are looking to move to Trend for our antivirus solution and I am wondering if anyone has seen or heard of any issues with Trend and EV?

Also, is there certain files or directories that should be excluded from antivirus scanning?

Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
Chad,
There's a bunch of directories and extensions you want to ignore. Here are some:

1) the program file directory of EV
2) The temp location
3) the vault store location
4) the index location
5) the shopping location
6) *.dvs, *.dfs

That's what I can think of off the top of my head, I'm sure I'm missing one or two tho.

micah

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
oh yeah, and *.cab, and *.pst. No reason to slow those down any more then they already are.

micah

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

Yes, make sure all those areas area avoided. I have seen data loss due to AV software which is kind of ironic...

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
I've never seen data loss, but I've certainly seen index corruption. OPLocks on netapp volumes also are big culprits on this one kids!

micah

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
There have indeed been cases of dataloss where AV software has corrupted Cab files or dvs files and the customer did not have backups to restore from or the files were corrupted in the backups. Oplocks is an issue with any SAN storage used for indexes.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296264/en-us

Adrian_Lowrance
Level 4
The directories mentioned for excluding, would this include on the file server too if file archiving is being done. For example, would you exclude the program file directory of EV on the file server. Or would the ExcludedExe reg key take care of this if you had the executable from your virus software included?

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
you wouldn't need to exclude those directories (as you're probably going to have a mix of shortcuts and real files, and thus need to protect them), however be sure that whatever AV scanner you use can deal correctly with offline files. In addition, add the AV scanner's exe to the excluded key to CYA.

micah