cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV and Centera, switching to Compliance Plus Edition

goatboy
Level 6

Hi

This is a follow up to: http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/ev-902-centera-questions

I would like to confirm the following.

If I switch our Centera from Governance Mode to Compliance Pus Edition but DO NOT change the partition properties (i.e. it's still set to Never) - does that mean that nothing changes in the way EV applies retention?

i.e. users will still be able to delete mailbox archived items as they currently do?

thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Based on the comment you posted the answer is yes, nothing will change.

Yes you can have differing settings per partition. The difference will be what retention values the clips will be stamped with on archiving. With Never they will be stamped with zero still so will be eligible for deletion straight away. With only for Centera Compliance plus they will be stamped with the retention period and so will only be eligible for deletion when that retention has passed.

My question is, if you want Compliance Plus why don't you want the retention applied?  Is it because you are going to have a journal partition on the same Centera as Mailbox.

Also, are there any plans to migrate away from Centera or are yours still in service?

https://community.emc.com/docs/DOC-7864

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

TonySterling

Based on the comment you posted the answer is yes, nothing will change.

Yes you can have differing settings per partition. The difference will be what retention values the clips will be stamped with on archiving. With Never they will be stamped with zero still so will be eligible for deletion straight away. With only for Centera Compliance plus they will be stamped with the retention period and so will only be eligible for deletion when that retention has passed.

My question is, if you want Compliance Plus why don't you want the retention applied?  Is it because you are going to have a journal partition on the same Centera as Mailbox.

Also, are there any plans to migrate away from Centera or are yours still in service?

https://community.emc.com/docs/DOC-7864

goatboy
Level 6

Thanks Tony, that is helpful.

We want Compliance Plus to apply to file system archiving and voice recording, but do not want to apply Compliance Plus to email for the reason you've outlined (journaling and mailbox archiving in the same partition).

goatboy
Level 6

Further to this, I want to know what happens when a user tries to delete a mailbox archived item whose retention has not yet passed when the partition is set to "for a Compliance Plus Mode Centera"

Do they get an error?

I assume cutomers with Centera in CE+ mode would want to set mailbox archiving partitions to "Never" so as to allow deletions by end users?

thanks!

TonySterling

So if the user tries to delete an archived item from their mailbox I think they get a message that says they can't delete the archived item and asks if they want to just delete the shortcut.

Yes, you would want to keep the partitions set to Never to allow the deletions to occur as expected.

goatboy
Level 6

Many thanks!

goatboy
Level 6

Another question.....

So if we do change the partition properties to "Always for a Compliance Plus Edition" and start getting retention set for mailbox and journal archives...

What happens if we have a mailbox-archived item with a 1 day retention and Storage Expiry runs? Does EV auto delete this item, just the same as a journaled item whose retention has expired?

goatboy
Level 6

And another question, what happens when we switch to a "Always for a Compliance Plus Edition" and Storage Expiry tries to delete an item that was archived before the mode of the Centera was switched from Governance to Compliance Plus?