Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV and Exchange Journal Archiving Architecture

Jacques_THOMAS
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi everybody,

I've a question about EV architecture.

My customer have an EV server for: MBA archiving for 600 mailboxes + FSA archiving dor 1 TB + Sharepoint Archiving for 350 users.

He wants to add Exchange journal archiving for 600 users. Is it necessary to add a second EV server specially for Exchange Journal Archiving?

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi Jacques,

Whats the current Enterprise Vault Servers specs? How much email is journaled a day?

Remember most archiving for Mailbox Archiving & FSA can happen at night, and Journaling will run mostly in work hours so I don't see why not :)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Nick_White
Level 6
Employee

The journal task will run quite happily on the same server as other the other tasks, so you do not necessarily need another server. If you are looking at extremely large volumes of e-mail then you might want to consider it, though for the number of users you have specified it doesn't sound like that will be the case.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi Jacques,

Whats the current Enterprise Vault Servers specs? How much email is journaled a day?

Remember most archiving for Mailbox Archiving & FSA can happen at night, and Journaling will run mostly in work hours so I don't see why not :)

Denis_Kattithar
Level 3
Accredited Certified

The Journal task shall work fine on the same EV server (subject to server H/W specifications).

Bruce_Crankshaw
Level 6
Partner

Hi Jacques

It would work but as mentioned  but what is the current utilization like on the EV server at the moment? Journaling is going to push the processor to probably 90 % so if the box is already battling that might be an issue. Even though the other tasks run in  the evening this is something you need to think of

Another consideration is what are you going to use to search against that Journal data ? I assume Discovery Accelerator as it comes bundled nowadays with the E-discovery and that also needs to be installed somewhere

In a small environment like that but with many different EV components  I would actually recommend an additional server running Journaling and DA on the same box .You can do your DA searches after hours when there is less Exchange traffic or just stop the Journal Task temporarily

Jacques_THOMAS
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Thanks for eveybody for these answers.

I think, I'll try to start jounaling archiving on the same EV server, and if there are some performances problems, I'll install a second one in a second time.

Kind regards