cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV and Exchange bakup scheduling

CracUnBourrePif
Level 3

Hello,

I heard that it is not recommended to backup Exchange and Enterprise Vault (for exchange) at the same time.

As we are a little short with our maintenance windows, I would like to know the reason behind that.

Kind regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

.. the kind of only caveat to this is your EV safety copy settings, once items have been marked as successfully backed up, the Enterprise Vault storage service will start along the process of turning items into 'full shortcuts'.  This will then have an impact on Exchange, as it's taking place inside the mailboxes.

So, turn the question around.

Why do you want them together? Why can't they be separate?

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

It's all just down to the amount of churn that you cause in the Exchange databases.

EV will be busy turning things to pending items, or making them full shortcuts, and it just won't end up being a very 'consistent' backup.

CracUnBourrePif
Level 3

Hello,

Thx for the answer, but I am not planning to run the Archiving while backing up exchange.

I am planning to back up Exchange and my EV Vault Store at the same time. (Archiving is done at another time)

Regards,

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Okay, sorry, I misunderstood.

Backing them up together...  why not?  Sounds like a good idea to me..  so long as Archiving is 'out of the way'.  I mean you wouldn't be able to back up EV whilst Archiving anyway.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

.. the kind of only caveat to this is your EV safety copy settings, once items have been marked as successfully backed up, the Enterprise Vault storage service will start along the process of turning items into 'full shortcuts'.  This will then have an impact on Exchange, as it's taking place inside the mailboxes.

So, turn the question around.

Why do you want them together? Why can't they be separate?