cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV calendar archiving recommended?

woelki
Level 4

Hi all,

at the moment we got three different EV sites. In one of them calendar archiving is enabled. When I started working with EV some years ago I learned from my "teacher" that calendar archiving is not a good thing. Especially the restoring can cause big issues.

When I'm reading here in the forum, there seems not be such an recommendation (anymore?).
Can EV calendar archiving and the corresponding restore be used without any doubts?

Indeed I got special issue at the moment.
In the one site which archives calendar items we got the following situation.

I have to restore a user calendar for the year 2013. There is no mailbox archiving, but journal archiving. Because of the big bunch of items I have to use the DA for the export, which works quite fine. The items in the PST look fine, but when I try to move them to the original calendar for each item is asked to create a new appointment with the current date.

Pointing to a comparison.... restoring from an early backup and moving from PST to the MBX everything works like a charm. So there seems to be a difference to the items EV has archived.

Am I doing something wrong or is this the issue some guys talk about?

Kind regards,
Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

calendar archiving changed in a big way over time with EV. anymore, the items are archived for search/discovery purposes but they are not replaced with shortcuts. sometimes, attachments to calendar items are replaced with a URL to the archived item but that's about it.

in terms of you restoring data from the journal archive and putting it in a mailbox, you have to take into consideration that you're not dealing with the same items. the mailbox doesn't know anything about the data you're extracting from the journal archive since it's a completely seperate copy that was never processed by the original mailbox. i dont think you're doing anything wrong in your process unless you have no other option.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

calendar archiving changed in a big way over time with EV. anymore, the items are archived for search/discovery purposes but they are not replaced with shortcuts. sometimes, attachments to calendar items are replaced with a URL to the archived item but that's about it.

in terms of you restoring data from the journal archive and putting it in a mailbox, you have to take into consideration that you're not dealing with the same items. the mailbox doesn't know anything about the data you're extracting from the journal archive since it's a completely seperate copy that was never processed by the original mailbox. i dont think you're doing anything wrong in your process unless you have no other option.

woelki
Level 4

Ah yeah, that's it. You are totally right. Perhaps I was to close to it to see it!