Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV causing Exchange 2010 mail queues to go up

shangwsh
Level 4

Hi Folks,

Encounter an issue recently.

In the morning I realise my Exchange 2010 queue viewer consist large amount of mail queues.

When you randomly double click on the mail in the queue, it state that the mail intended to goto

the journal mailbox but is retrying.

But when i login into the journal mailbox, there is only less than 500 mails waiting to be archive by EV.

And the journal mailbox had more than enough mailbox quota.

Any idea could it be the EV is causing the mail queue to increase?

Because the mail queue starts to clear off slowly after I perform 2 tasks:

- stop journal rules on Exchange

- clear backup mode from vault store.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

R_Meeker
Level 4

If the items are stuck in Q viewer then Exh is waiting to deliver them to the MBX so EV hasn't actually touched the items yet, you can do a bunch of anlaysis on the Q viewer using powershell to work out exactly where they are stuck http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125022.aspx 

The fact that you specify two actions need to be performed to release the message does that imply that just doing 1 of the actions doesn't resolve the issue, for example, if you only stop the journal rules does that work?

Which is my next question when you refer to journal rules, what are the journal rules set too? external, internal or global.Does it make a different which rule you change as to whether the messages start flowing, are these messages all from one direction?

Clearing the backup would only affect items already in the MBX it shouldn't stop items being sent by exchange transport into the journal mailbox. But this raises two questions, do you have your journal vault store set too Remove Saftey Copies 'after backup' or 'immediate' and do you have quotas on your journal mailbox, both of which configs are not always good ideas.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

R_Meeker
Level 4

If the items are stuck in Q viewer then Exh is waiting to deliver them to the MBX so EV hasn't actually touched the items yet, you can do a bunch of anlaysis on the Q viewer using powershell to work out exactly where they are stuck http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125022.aspx 

The fact that you specify two actions need to be performed to release the message does that imply that just doing 1 of the actions doesn't resolve the issue, for example, if you only stop the journal rules does that work?

Which is my next question when you refer to journal rules, what are the journal rules set too? external, internal or global.Does it make a different which rule you change as to whether the messages start flowing, are these messages all from one direction?

Clearing the backup would only affect items already in the MBX it shouldn't stop items being sent by exchange transport into the journal mailbox. But this raises two questions, do you have your journal vault store set too Remove Saftey Copies 'after backup' or 'immediate' and do you have quotas on your journal mailbox, both of which configs are not always good ideas.

shangwsh
Level 4

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

After disabling the journal rules it actually work, but it still takes time for the queues to be cleared.

the only pattern I can see is that after turning on the journaling, the problem will arise again in the next morning because

usually there is high mails sending. But if i turn journaling off, there isn't much issues.

The journal rules are set on the Exchange 2010 with global rules to specific recipients. But users are around 600 users.

The journal vault store are configured to remove safety copies immediately.

I starting to feel the problem may lie on the Exchange though.