Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV client logs and CITRIX sessions...

Mark_Shoger
Level 4
Employee

All,

I have a client that's running CITRIX as their thin client back end and using the EV add-ins on that platform. EV access has been working perfectly.

As you are aware, the EV client drops a dynamic log file into the TEMP variable space upon Outlook startup. Currently, the CITRIX servers are pointing to C:\temp as the TEMP variable space.

We're seeing a huge number of these log files, which don't clean up after themselves.

Is there a way to disable the creation of the client logs? Or a way to cause the client to delete the log when Outlook closes?

We can write a cleanup script, but prefer to use built in functions rather than scripting...

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

We trim to 20 log files ...  And we are looking for : ev_client_log_*.txt, ordered by oldest first.  So if all your users are writing to that folder, and there are hundreds, in use, that's how many you see..  In fact it might well be tricky to delete any, because of file locks. 

Perhaps if they're not deleting, the user might need permissions checking?  Have you got a screenshot of the folder, or a directory listing?

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

R_Meeker
Level 4

Shouldn't be that much, what level is the logging set too?

Can you upload a sample of the log files please.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

yeah you could set the logging level to be Errors Only and it will just generate a small amount of log files
There was an issue some time ago back in the early EV2007 clients where Citrix could cause massive amount of logs to be generated, but that issue has long since gone

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Mark_Shoger
Level 4
Employee

The size of the files isn't an issue - it's their persistence. They don't get auto-deleted (yet) and we'd like to be able to clean up the temp space.

M

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

they do actually get deleted, i think it keeps something like 5 days worth of logs and prunes them

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

JW2 is right, I think ... I'll take a peek at the code tomorrow to confirm.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

We trim to 20 log files ...  And we are looking for : ev_client_log_*.txt, ordered by oldest first.  So if all your users are writing to that folder, and there are hundreds, in use, that's how many you see..  In fact it might well be tricky to delete any, because of file locks. 

Perhaps if they're not deleting, the user might need permissions checking?  Have you got a screenshot of the folder, or a directory listing?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Is anything else needed on this issue?