Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV data chunk size ???

JonD
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Hi

Need to figure what size data chunks EV writes to index and data partition in. SQL writes in 8Kb chunks but what is EV's base chunk size for writing to index and archive storage ? Anyone used vxcache to enhance EV index usage.

Regards,
Jon Dickens
2 REPLIES 2

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi

How large is your Enterprise Vault installation?
I'm not sure if tuning storage is really this necessary for EV, as the bottleneck more possibly your CPU ressources.

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
From what i have seen the IO's for the Indexes is small. The rule of thumb normally is big I/Os = small chunks; small I/Os = big chunks.

Seeing as th EV indexes normally produce small IO's then larger chunk sizes are best suited for it for performance

When accessting data files with lots of snamm IO's you want to maximize your IOPS, which ideally means sending each I/O to only one disk and spreading the I/Os evenly across the disks. What you don’t want is a single I/O getting sent to two disks, since waiting for the heads will slow things down. So you want a large chunk size. That large chunk will mean that most I/Os get serviced by a single disk and more I/Os are available on the remaining disks.