cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV extensions via OWA failing but only via converged FQDN

Rem_y
Level 4

Hello, I am trying to figure out a problem with an environment I'm working on whereby Ev extensions are failing to display in OWA but only when I access using the owa.domain.etc FQDN

If I hit each CAS individually via cas1.domain.etc, or cas2.domain.etc then the EV extensions display

I'm trying to get the finer points of the process straight in my mind and saw this from another post

6. When user logs on to OWA the EV OWA add in calls the users mailbox via EWS to try and read the users EV hidden message
7. If the hidden message doesn't exist, then the OWA plugin deactivates itself and user can't see any EV buttons

Does it make sense this is a proxy issue? Http request resolves DNS name owa.domain.etc but something between that request and it hitting a CAS must be removing part of the call that initiates EV extensions - stripping the EWS, or blocking it?

any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rem_y
Level 4

FYI for anyone happening on this post - problem solved, eventually quite easily, but it's difficult to tell if it was the sole problem due to the number of other changes. Here are the bullet points, so hopefully it will provide some inspiration for others troubleshooting similar problems

Problem:

The EV addin\link is not appearing in OWA

EV version : 11.0.1.3706

Troubleshooting and eventual solution:

The Symantec Enterprise Vault OWA 2010 Extensions Version : 11.0.7570 is installed on all Client Access Servers

When we hit the cas's via individual server FQDN's they work - cas1X.domain etc

When connection is attempted via converged FQDN - OWA.domain then no extensions are delivered

Tested from outside of LAN, no Enterprise Vault shortcut present

Basically I ruled out everything bar proxy config as the root of the problem

Next I aimed to clarify the steps appropriate config as per the 'Setting up Exchange Server Archiving' guide (see page 183 of the linked PDF below):

https://origin-download.veritas.com/library/BUSINESS/DOC6282/10.0.4-Setting_up_Exchange_Server_Archiving.pdf

Checked the exchange servers.txt file, it contains all IPS of the CAS', but the Converged IP was not there nor needed as this config used Round Robin

ISA rule looks good

Authentication is NTLM

Ensured the Configuration for Exchange Web Services impersonation on CAS proxy servers was correct

Enabled the impersonation management role and added the OWA site to the compatibility mode and all started working

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Manideep_Neeli
Level 4
Employee

Hello,

Is the Proxy / CAS Array IP added to the ExchangeServer.txt file before running the OWAUser.wsf script?

Rem_y
Level 4

Hello Manideep, thanks for the reply. I looked at this but the config uses DNS Round Robin so it's not the solution unfortunately. I'm still working on the problem with support involved also, so will write back once there is a solution figured out for future benefit. For now, I'm testing the everything between the proxy to the CAS, and the CAS to the Mailboxes servers, via IIS etc to see why the extensions won't load externally

Rvarghese
Level 3

You can start a OWA looging on all the CAS servers to see what kind of error you get in the logs and based on that you can further troubleshoot the issue.

Rem_y
Level 4

FYI for anyone happening on this post - problem solved, eventually quite easily, but it's difficult to tell if it was the sole problem due to the number of other changes. Here are the bullet points, so hopefully it will provide some inspiration for others troubleshooting similar problems

Problem:

The EV addin\link is not appearing in OWA

EV version : 11.0.1.3706

Troubleshooting and eventual solution:

The Symantec Enterprise Vault OWA 2010 Extensions Version : 11.0.7570 is installed on all Client Access Servers

When we hit the cas's via individual server FQDN's they work - cas1X.domain etc

When connection is attempted via converged FQDN - OWA.domain then no extensions are delivered

Tested from outside of LAN, no Enterprise Vault shortcut present

Basically I ruled out everything bar proxy config as the root of the problem

Next I aimed to clarify the steps appropriate config as per the 'Setting up Exchange Server Archiving' guide (see page 183 of the linked PDF below):

https://origin-download.veritas.com/library/BUSINESS/DOC6282/10.0.4-Setting_up_Exchange_Server_Archiving.pdf

Checked the exchange servers.txt file, it contains all IPS of the CAS', but the Converged IP was not there nor needed as this config used Round Robin

ISA rule looks good

Authentication is NTLM

Ensured the Configuration for Exchange Web Services impersonation on CAS proxy servers was correct

Enabled the impersonation management role and added the OWA site to the compatibility mode and all started working

John_Q
Level 3
Partner Accredited

rem_y, thanks for sharing.

JQ