cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV file archiving change File server

zhangli
Level 3
Accredited Certified

I use  FSA archiving server A Partition Z . the file archiving is well. 

now I change the Partition Z Mapping to the new server B, use the same EV server to archiving the Partition Z.

the TASK run report is warning ,and on file archiving

Summary by volume

\\PACS-SERVER1\Z$

*** Warning *** - One more Root folders were not synchronized

Root folder: \\SERVERB\Z$\imagePool is not synchronised as its Root Folder id does not match the Folder id on the marked folder

Estimated space saved after shortcut creation and file deletion (MB): 0.00

No items were matched by any rule. Some files may have been ignored because of policy permission settings.

Archive Point Summary
 ---------------------
  ArchivePointPath VaultStoreName RemoveSafetyCopies
  -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  \\SERVERB\Z$\imagePool czyy Immediately

Retention Folders Summary
 --------------------------

No folders created.

the ev event log is

2012-6-25 16:23:40 Enterprise Vault  error File System Archiving Task  8390 N/A RIS-SERVER3 "The EnterpriseVault.DirectoryConnection object reported an error.

0x80040e2f
Internal references:
Error 0x80040e2f
CDirectoryConnectionObject::UpdateEntry .\DirectoryConnectionObject.cpp [lines {230,235,238,240,248}], built Mar 14 10:55:02 2011

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://evevent.symantec.com/rosetta/showevent.asp"
2012-6-25 16:23:40 Enterprise Vault  error File System Archiving Task  8390 N/A RIS-SERVER3 "The EnterpriseVault.DirectoryConnection object reported an error.

0x80040e2f
Internal references:
Error 0x80040e2f
CDirectoryConnectionObject::UpdateDirectoryEntry .\DirectoryConnectionObject.cpp [lines {186,198,201,203,204,207,220}], built Mar 14 10:55:02 2011

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://evevent.symantec.com/rosetta/showevent.asp"
2012-6-25 16:23:40 Enterprise Vault  error Directory Service  13360 N/A RIS-SERVER3 "An error was detected while accessing the Vault Database 'EnterpriseVaultDirectory' (Internal reference: CADODataAccess::ExecuteSQLCommand .\ADODataAccess.cpp [lines {1407,1409,1424,1461}], built Mar 14 10:54:54 2011):

Description: 

The statement has been terminated.

SQL Command:
 UPDATE FileServerFolderEntry SET  VolumeEntryId = ? , FolderPath = ?  WHERE FolderEntryId = ?

Additional Microsoft supplied information:

Source:       Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
Number:       0x80040e2f
SQL State:    01000
Native Error: 00003621
HRESULT  0x80040e2f

2012-6-25 16:23:40 Enterprise Vault  error Directory Service  13360 N/A RIS-SERVER3 "An error was detected while accessing the Vault Database 'EnterpriseVaultDirectory' (Internal reference: CADODataAccess::ExecuteSQLCommand .\ADODataAccess.cpp [lines {1407,1409,1424,1461}], built Mar 14 10:54:54 2011):

Description: 

Violation of UNIQUE KEY constraint 'Unique_FileServerFolderEntry_VolumeEntryId_FolderPath'. Cannot insert duplicate key in object 'dbo.FileServerFolderEntry'.

SQL Command:
 UPDATE FileServerFolderEntry SET  VolumeEntryId = ? , FolderPath = ?  WHERE FolderEntryId = ?

Additional Microsoft supplied information:

Source:       Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
Number:       0x80040e2f
SQL State:    23000
Native Error: 00002627
HRESULT  0x80040e2f

How can i do now??

10 REPLIES 10

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

What is the reason for changing the mapping drive? is it because you are targeting server B for archiving or have you moved all the files and placeholders to server B?

Have you installed the FSA agent on server B?

One obvious problem that I could see is that the retrieval of the archived files will have problems as the target location has changed.

What you should do is instead of changing the mapping drive to server B you should add a new FSA server target for server B and leave server A target as it is.

Hope that helps.

zhangli
Level 3
Accredited Certified

Thank you for your reply.

Now the server A is broken.  

I install the the FSA agent on server B.  and this report is  archiving server B partition Z.

the shortcuts can open. some file is archived.  there are many folders and Subfolders. I can't recall all file.  the partition Z  is  not enough space.

how can do now ?  can i rebuild the index ?

Rob_Brenner
Level 5
Employee

First of all I would strongly advise you not to make these changes in the future.

Once you have configured FSA to manage yoru file system, the product will create Alternate Data Stream (ADS) hidden streams at the target volumes and folders to maintain the relationship stored in the EV databases.

Without going into too much detail, if you change the file system content to be under a different storage or server, the references will no longer match.

For such data movements you must use FSAUtility otherwise you can start introducing conflicts.

Rob_Brenner
Level 5
Employee

Without proper investigation it is difficult to determine how far you went with the changes. If you have launched the Archiving Task for the moved content at the destination it is possible that the database is already updated with records for the items at the destination paths.

This would mean that you now have redundant records in the databases which are just taking unnecessary space within the SQL data files.

If you are unable to revert the mapping to the original server you may need to log a case with Support to have this looked at accordingly.

Recomendation is to revert the mapping to the original server, as previously configured, then, if you need to move the content to the other server you should become familiar with FSAUtility and use -pm to Migrate the Archives to the new server.

Note that you did not mentioned the EV version you are currently running. Recently, there have been some major fixes and enhancements to FSAUtility, especially within -pm. You should consider upgrading to the latest versions to benefit from the latest features.

Another recommendation is for you to 'test' FSAUtility usage with dummy Archives / content and study the results by looking at the FSAUtility report generated so you understand what the tool can do. This will help you in the future when making major administrative decisions, such as around file server data movement.

Rob_Brenner
Level 5
Employee

I'm not sure about what you mean with Server A is broken.

If you had hardware failure or anything that afffected Server A, you should still consider performing a disaster recovery of Server A so that it is back to normal functionality.

If there is no possibility to bring back Server A, you should recall all archived content  before re-configuring the destination server for archiving.

After all files have been recalled / retrieved from the Archives, you should consider deleting the existing ArchivePoints (EVArchivePoint.xml) hidden streams that existed on the file system while mounted at the source Server A and create new ArchivePoints.

This would allow you to start archiving from scratch at the destination Server B withourt being dependent or having any association with the records referencing Server A.

zhangli
Level 3
Accredited Certified

Hi  Rob,

Thank you for your reply.

the partition Z is not enough space. so, I cann't recall all Archives.

how can i do ?

Rob_Brenner
Level 5
Employee

You will have to work with the limitations in your environment. If you cannot extende the volume capacity, the only way is to retrieve some content, move to the other storage, retrieve more, move more, retrieve again and so on until you have the lot.

Alternativelly, if you have a full backup you can restore to a larger storage volume, re-map the drive letters so that you now have the same content on a larger volume.

Again, it would be advisable to test before attempting in production so you can determine if the backup application is restoring all the content including the Alternate Data Stream created at the folder levels by FSA

zhangli
Level 3
Accredited Certified

There are a lot of work to do.

Can I use FSAUtility to reset the archive points ??

FSAUtility -a -s \\myserver\users -l 0 

Rob_Brenner
Level 5
Employee

FSAUtility will allow you to recreate the ArchivePoints with the -a option, however if you are doing this to a new file system where none of the original ADS content exist, you will have issues with the association of the AP with the Volume record in the dB.

Ideally you should restore from a backup which will restore the FolderPoints and the folder structure with the original time stamps

zhangli
Level 3
Accredited Certified

Thank you ,

now I creat  a  new vault store, and I will try creat new ArchivePoint to archive the file. 

I know the best way is recall all archive file. but the partition Z is not enough space.