cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV file placeholder service

goof717
Level 5

Hello.  thanks for the time and effort.  recently we are seeing where users are unable to get to archived files.  errors like 'file cannot be accessed by the system'.  And when we do a restart of the EV file placeholder service all is good again.  the problem is how can we monitor file availability without a user telling us 'hey its broken again.'  Also I do not see any errors in where I can pinpoint when the service has stopped working because it shows up as started in windows services.  I was thinking of having this service restart every night...just to keep it going.  However I am wondering if this is more of a file server OS issue than it is an EV issue.  

Could this also be caused by amount of free space available on a closed partition? where the cab files doesn't have enough free space to open up?

thanks again for the input.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goof717
Level 5

spoke to Symantec support and they did recommend to do a DTrace when it stops again...so far it hasnt stopped.  However Symantec did collect logs and have said that the placeholder service is losing connection to the placeholder driver.  dont know what that means yet...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Could you share the EV version and type of File server?  You could create a schedule task to restart the placeholder service every 4 hours or so but you shouldn't have to do that.

It could be an issue that has been fixed in a later version\hotfix.

goof717
Level 5

EV 10.01 and Windows Server 2008R2 STD. 

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

So it doesn't seem like there are any known issues.  Are there any errors generated when it fails either on the File Server or the EV Server?  If so, you could monitor for that.  Otherwise you could just schedule that servers to restart every so often.  A workaround but better than having an outage.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
You may also want to get a DTrace of the placeholder service to see what it's doing at the time it stops working
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

goof717
Level 5

spoke to Symantec support and they did recommend to do a DTrace when it stops again...so far it hasnt stopped.  However Symantec did collect logs and have said that the placeholder service is losing connection to the placeholder driver.  dont know what that means yet...