cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV index volume size - best practice?

Swipe
Level 3

Hi,

I currently have two EV 11.0.1 exchange mailbox archiving servers archiving from two active exchange servers. Both EV servers have 300GB index volumes that are approaching capacity. They were originally 200GB each but were both extended to 300GB around 12 months ago.

My question is what is the maximum recommended size for an index volume? Should I go ahead and extend them to 500GB each (easiest option) or would there be more benefit performance-wise in creating new additional indexing volumes for each server and then set the current index locations to closed?

Are there any performance overheads for either option? The indexing volumes are currently hosted on a netapp filer.

Thanks

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i wouldnt expect any difference in performance based on what your describing. the main decision point for me would be around backups and restores of your index volumes. it should be the size you're comfortable with backing up and having to restore in order to maintain SLAs or policies set by your company.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i wouldnt expect any difference in performance based on what your describing. the main decision point for me would be around backups and restores of your index volumes. it should be the size you're comfortable with backing up and having to restore in order to maintain SLAs or policies set by your company.

EdLacey
Level 5
Certified

Also worth remembering that when you close an Index location it will continue to grow so allow some overhead for that

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Ed,

As of EV10, when closing an index-location it will NOT grow anymore.

You will get an additional index created in one of the still open locations (an archive will thus have 2 index-locations)

Regards. Gertjan

EdLacey
Level 5
Certified

Thanks for correction Gertjan, I was in pre-EV10 mode ther for a moment