cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV on Microsoft Cluster Service (MSCS)

GuruPrasadNS
Level 4

Hi, my EV 7.5 and also my SQL2005 is on Windows 2003 MSCS. Please let me know with any info/steps available. DA, CA & UCE are on individual servers and not on cluster service.

regards,

Guruprasad.

6 REPLIES 6

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi Guruparasad,

Please elaborate here what you are getting at?

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You cant Cluster DA or CA they don't support it.

The clustering of EV is easy enough you just need to follow the guide that comes in the docs with your binaries.

I recommend you try clustering the EV and if you run into any issues come let us know and we will help you but the process is easy enough

GuruPrasadNS
Level 4

Oops I missed many parts in my question.

Actually we want to move from EV 7.5 to EV 8.0 SP5 and we have our EV 7.5 and SQL2005 on MSCS.

I am reading through some KBs about the migration and wanted experts tips and valuable infos about migration when EV is on cluster.

Our EV is 2 years old now and this is an Exchange2007 environment.

DA, offline vault cache and OWA extensions are some of the major usage by us.

regards, guruprasad.

FreKac2
Level 6

I guess, you mean that you want to upgrade the EV7.5 installation to EV8 SP5 ?

I would think all you need to know is in the upgrade instructions following the new media/software-package.

I would also take a look at the following tables.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH53174&actp=search&viewlocale=en_U...

Make sure that the upgrade that you want to do works across both DA and EV.

Also according to the above link since EV8 SP5 was released after EV9 it's not supported to go from 8 SP5 to EV9. I guess EV9 Sp1 will solve that.

So you may want go to SP4 if you plan on upgrading to EV9.0.

EDIT: it's DA8 SP5 or CA8 SP5 -> version 9 that is not supported...sorry for the confusion there :)

GuruPrasadNS
Level 4

you are right, i want to move from EV 7.5 to EV 8.0, but now to SP4 instead of SP5 (i take your suggestion).

as my EV is on microsoft windows 2003 cluster server, i am really not finding which addresses migration while EV on cluster.

rgds, guruprasad.

FreKac2
Level 6

Hi guruprasad,

Not exactly sure what you mean so I'm guessing again :)

If you want to upgrade EV that is on a MSCS cluster, the basic steps are really the same as a single server but you need to do it on both node's.

Make sure you have a backup of everything in regard to EV, in case of "Murphy".

Install and run deployment scanner for the version you want to upgrade to (on both nodes).

Fix any outstanding issues from that report.

After that, shutdown all the EV services (remember that it's a cluster so stop them through e.g. the cluster admin console, not the "normal" services.msc).

Run setup for the new version on both nodes, after the installation, shutdown the passive node, restart that active node.

Once the active node is restarted, follow the steps in the upgrade instructions guide (e.g. start the Directory service first, wait for it to update the Directory DB and so forth).

When the whole upgrade process is completed, start the "passive" node and that should be it.

You may want to make a backup again, so that you don't need to upgrade it once more if you have a crash and the only backup is the one for EV7.5.

After that it would be a good time to upgrade the DA server to match the same level as the EV server (again follow the upgrade instructions) and so forth.

After that you can configure e.g. Vault Store Groups in EV (read up on Vault Store Groups before configuring).

Hope that gives you some idea what needs to be done.

If you don't feel comfortable about the upgrade process, I would recommend that you get in touch with Symantec or one of the Symantec/Enterprise Vault partners.

Cheers

Fredrik