Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV seem to generate trensaction logs in exchange 2003

Kenneth_Hansen
Level 6
Partner
Hi,

I'm having a problem with one of my EV installations.
Enviroment EV 8.0 SP1 on Windows 2003 SP2 x86, archiving email from a exchange 2003.

unfortunatly Im not sure when this problem started but exchange is generating large amounts for transaction logs when EV is running.
Any one seen this before??
It's supose to made as much as 700MB in just over an hour!!!

There is problably no more than 20 users on, and 2 journal mailboxes.
EV vault store set to remove safty copies after backup.

Anyone? 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Kenneth

This is normal behaviour.
As Enterprise Vault removes the Messages from Exchange and writes back the Pending Items, or the Shortcuts, it always generates database activity resulting in increased LOG files.

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Kenneth_Hansen
Level 6
Partner
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/exchange-transaction-logs-0

I did fint this tread, but have any one seen any problems with EV causing to increase unexpectivly?
I do wonder if anyone can point me to where I can check in exchange logging for cause of transaction log to grow so fast.

bobby_hilliard
Level 5
any database transactions will generate log entries in exchange.  I'm assuming that you're seeing these as a result of active ev archiving. depending on how much is being archived, you would see increased logging as the messages are moved out and shortcuts moved in.

you might consider circular logging until the main thrust of the archiving has finished and then switch back...or do more frequent online backups to clear out the log files.

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Kenneth

This is normal behaviour.
As Enterprise Vault removes the Messages from Exchange and writes back the Pending Items, or the Shortcuts, it always generates database activity resulting in increased LOG files.

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Kenneth_Hansen
Level 6
Partner
Just needed to verify what I thought to be a normal behavior. 
I'll have a look at the logging option.

Cheers :)