Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV server and legacy Domino archives

Fremont
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi Guys,

We are upgrading from EV11.0.1 to EV12.2 and I am building the new EV12 servers.  

We have a number of legacy Domino journal and mailbox archives going to the time before we moved to Exhange that are still being accessed by users.  However we have no active Domino archiving or journaling tasks.

Does anyone know if I need to install Domino and Notes on the new servers?  Do we need to copy over Domino server ID's?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Massimo_Vagli
Level 4

Hello Fremont, 

I assume you used to migrate the data from Domino to Exchange and converted the migrated items with the tool named 'EVDominoExchangeMigration.exe' (at least for the Domino Archiving).

In order to still access the migrated domino items from Outlook you need a properly configured Lotus Notes installed on the EV Server, this technote well explains the errors of a scenario where Lotus Notes has been removed https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH205992

At the end of the technote there's the explanation about how to reconfigure Lotus Notes on the EV Server (if any Domino Server is still active in the environment I would prefer the first option): 

If any Domino Server is still available in the environment perform the following:

1) On the EV Server install Lotus Notes in single user mode
2) Configure Lotus Notes connecting it to any available Domino Server
3) Restart all the Enterprise Vault Services and the IIS Admin
4) Test from Microsoft Outlook the retrieve and restore for previously failing items

If no Domino Server is available in the environment and there is not way to establish a connection from the newly installed Lotus Notes perform the following:

2) Restore from backup the Lotus Notes configuration files as follow: user.id, notes.ini and the entire Data Folder (Data folder might contain the user.id file already)
3) replace the aforementioned files and folder on the newly installed Lotus Notes replacing any existing files
4) Restart all the Enterprise Vault Services and the IIS Admin
5) Test from Microsoft Outlook the retrieve and restore for previously failing items

If you are upgrading from 11.0.1 I think you have all the configuration files listed above so you don't need to re-install any Domino Server.

Massimo 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

VirgilDobos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Fremont,

How are the users currently accessing the Domino archives?

--Virgil

Massimo_Vagli
Level 4

Hello Fremont, 

I assume you used to migrate the data from Domino to Exchange and converted the migrated items with the tool named 'EVDominoExchangeMigration.exe' (at least for the Domino Archiving).

In order to still access the migrated domino items from Outlook you need a properly configured Lotus Notes installed on the EV Server, this technote well explains the errors of a scenario where Lotus Notes has been removed https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH205992

At the end of the technote there's the explanation about how to reconfigure Lotus Notes on the EV Server (if any Domino Server is still active in the environment I would prefer the first option): 

If any Domino Server is still available in the environment perform the following:

2) Configure Lotus Notes connecting it to any available Domino Server
3) Restart all the Enterprise Vault Services and the IIS Admin
4) Test from Microsoft Outlook the retrieve and restore for previously failing items

If no Domino Server is available in the environment and there is not way to establish a connection from the newly installed Lotus Notes perform the following:

2) Restore from backup the Lotus Notes configuration files as follow: user.id, notes.ini and the entire Data Folder (Data folder might contain the user.id file already)
3) replace the aforementioned files and folder on the newly installed Lotus Notes replacing any existing files
4) Restart all the Enterprise Vault Services and the IIS Admin
5) Test from Microsoft Outlook the retrieve and restore for previously failing items

If you are upgrading from 11.0.1 I think you have all the configuration files listed above so you don't need to re-install any Domino Server.

Massimo 

Fremont
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Thank you for the detailed info.  Much appreciated.  Cheers!