cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV server archive coexisting Exchange Servers 2016/2010 (Migration)

Tonaco_pt
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hello,

We are upgrading our exchange server form 2010 to 2016 and in this process we need the Enterprise Vault server (VSA) to archive from both systems.

I created a new user and given the same permission as Vault Service Account (https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100022472), when I start a Exchange Mailbox Archiving Task with this new account it fails with the following error:

Spoiler
Source: Enterprise Vault
Event ID: 3300
Description: The Task 'Exchange Mailbox Archiving Task for server1' failed to start due to incorrect user permissions

Can't find any support for this error.

I'm trying the approach because, I'm getting the following error, exchange throttling archive:

Spoiler
Event ID: 3419
Description: Could not access Exchange Server. The dispenser will queue the current item and sleep for 60 seconds.

Spoiler
Event ID: 3415
Description: An Enterprise Vault task is not correctly configured.

The task account's mailbox must have an appropriate Exchange Server 2010 or later throttling policy applied. See the Enterprise Vault documentation for details of the required throttling policy settings.

Task: Exchange Mailbox Archiving Task for server1
Exchange Server: server1
Task account: CN=VSA,OU=EVault,DC=domain,DC=local

This happens with the archive tasks that are not in the same exchange version as the VSA.

What I'm doing wrong? is the a better approach? for the Enterprise Vault archive from a Exchange coexist environment?

Thanks

Antonio

11 REPLIES 11

Marcde

Hi Antonio,

I've seen a lot of environments with Exchange 2010 and 2016 while migrating and this is mostly working fine except of some issues with the procotols. In all of these situations we rely on the vsa.

The vsas mailbox should be migrated to one of the new servers and the throttling policy script executed once again after this (I believe as some parameters changed between 2010 and 2013/2016). Did you do this or is the vsas mailbox still located in Exchange 2010?

You created new system mailboxes for the new tasks? 

Regards

Marc

PMCS GmbH & Co. KG - A Serviceware Company
www.serviceware.de

Tonaco_pt

Hello Marc,

thanks for a quick response.

Yes, each server as its own system mailbox and I gave the VSA the suitable permission.

In Exchange 2016 we have a few account, all the mailbox are still in Exchange 2010.

When I move the VSA to the Exchange 2016 server and applied the correct throttling policy, Exchange 2010 start throttling EV archive tasks I when from 50 000 items 40 GB to 13 000 items 6 GB per night. I roll back the VSA account to exchange 2010, and last night 200 000 items 63 GB.

Each Exchange Version as there own throttling policy that why I thought of start the Exchange 2010 archiving tasks with a new account with the same permission as the VSA and the Exchange 2010 throttling policy.

But I can not find what permissions is Event ID: 3300 referring to.

Marcde

Hi Antonio,

just to clarify this: after moving the vsas mailbox to Exchange 2016 you do get event 3419 which leads to a performance impact within the schedule for the Exchange 2010 tasks, right? 

To be fair I've not seen many environments where another user is used for some archiving tasks but I believe there are other events next to event 3300 that could give you a hint.

Which version of EV and Exchange (incl. CU) is this? 

Regards

Marc

www.serviceware.de

Tonaco_pt

Marc,

that correct, event id 3415 and 3419 only happens when the VSA account was moved to Exchange 2016.

The event 3300 is report when I try to start the Archive Tasks. The Exchange tasks becomes "failed" immediately, You can see in the attachment ev3300.png that I don't have anymore event that helps.

Version: Enterprise Vault 11.0.1 CHF5

Marcde

Hi Antonio,

did you create a dtrace of the startup of the 2010 archiving task which is running under your alternative user?

Your screenshot is also showing Event 3297 which signals a successful start of a task. Is this for the same task? 

Regards

Marc

www.serviceware.de

Tonaco_pt

Hi Marc

I run Dtrace with "set ArchiveTask v" and nothing is record. All I see is the initial configuration setting and the start the version.

Show I run DTrace against?

Yes, the Event 3297 is the same tasks (now running with VSA again)

Thanks

Antonio

Tonaco_pt

Hi Marc,

I owe you an apology, it was my fault. when I give permission I set the user to 

"Deny log on as a service", "Deny log on as a batch job" by mistake.

I'm very sorry

Thanks

António.

Marcde

Antonio, glad to hear you got this sorted out. This is working properly with two different users for the two Exchange versions now that the permissions are set?

Regards

Marc

www.serviceware.de

Tonaco_pt
I still have another problem, that we are working out: 
[Archiving Task fails with Events 3460 & 2256 when starting a task that targets Exchange 2013 or 2016 due to RPC issues](https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100034045)

We I start archiving from exchange 2016, I'll reply with more information.

Tonaco_pt

Hello, we found the problem.

When we first applied the policy, we removed the old policy and created with 

.\SetEVThrottlingPolicy.ps1 -User domain\vsa -Server server1 -Version 2013AndLater

We began reading the script SetEVThrottlingPolicy.ps1 line by line and found out that we were using it the wrong way.
So, we've deleted the throttling policy created in the step above and ran the script:

.\SetEVThrottlingPolicy.ps1 -User domain\vsa 

After testing, everything seems to be ok.

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

Yes, there are two versions of throttling policies.

2010 and 2013Andlater. If you dont use the attribute "-version" both of them will be placed. So you can use both older and newer then 2013 Exchange.

Regards