cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV server losing disk space on drives with closed partitions

Leonardo_Fern1
Level 6

I am running EV 10.0.0.1090 with Exchange Server 2007

I am running out of disk space on drives that contain only closed partitions. Both drives, K: and M: were left with 50 GB of free disk space. The last partition on M: was closed in September and the last Partition on K: was closed in 2013. In the past couple of weeks, both of these drives have had their free disk space go down to 0, impacting EV performance. When I run collections on the partitions on both of these drives, I recover disk space. What is EV doing to eat up the disk space on these drives and why are there still files that can be collected?

I have attached a screen shot of the drives and the partitions

thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you done exports via DA\Clearwell or rebuilt indexes or moved archives?

Since the items are in CAB files when you export or rebuild indexes or even just recall archived mail those items are placed on disk as .archdvs files.  When collection runs again those items will be removed.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

TonySterling

Have you done exports via DA\Clearwell or rebuilt indexes or moved archives?

Since the items are in CAB files when you export or rebuild indexes or even just recall archived mail those items are placed on disk as .archdvs files.  When collection runs again those items will be removed.

Leonardo_Fern1
Level 6

So if I perform a massive recall of archived items that all happen to be on the same disk, I could use up a lot of disk space? gigabytes worth?

Is there away to manually run collections against multiple partitions? The only way I know how to run collections manually now is through the partition settings in EVA, one partition at a time.

Collections are scheduled to run daily from 10 pm to midnight, would it help to increase the schedule? Do I have to increase it on each partition separately or can I use EVPM to change the collection schedule on all partitions at once?

Thank you

Leonardo_Fern1
Level 6

Does an export to PST create archdvs files?

TonySterling

Yes, if you do a massive recall it can eat up a lot of disk space.

No, you can not do a manual run against multiple partitions.

I doubt increasing the schedule will help and no you can't use EVPM to change the collection schedule.

Yes, doing an export to PST will create the archdvs files.

Leonardo_Fern1
Level 6

well, that solves the mystery of the disappearing disk space. we have had to perform a large amount of pst exports from EV for our legal dept.

thank you