cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV, single instancing, Centera

Project_Man
Level 4

We have an EV setup 1 server for exchange and 1 for file.

We have a EMC Centera storage unit to store all the vaulted data.

We had to reconfigure our file system and we changed all the names of the file servers.

We had to recall from the old servers and then re-archive all the data on the new servers as we were changing from windows to Celerra (linux)

We were told that single instancing would take care of all the duplicate entries in the Centera.

Can anyone tell me what is the best way to show that the single instancing is working?

I don't think it is or if it is, its really really slow!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nathan_Clark_2
Level 4
Employee

Mmm this is difficult, I’m assuming you are post EV8, have device level sharing set, performance-strategy of the Centera device considered, and EMC have no tools to view this info, you would need to compare the XML of the CDF (C-Clip Descriptor File) of items stored for duplicate file items with possible support assistance.

The CDF should contain a MD5 hash for the file content, which should match subsequent archiving operations.

Thanks

Nathan

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Project_Man
Level 4

Anyone heard of the MD5sum file related to archiving, I have been told if this changes then no single instancing will take place. Can anyone tell me what information it uses to create this file and how do i know what to look for as regards changes to this file?

Nathan_Clark_2
Level 4
Employee

Mmm this is difficult, I’m assuming you are post EV8, have device level sharing set, performance-strategy of the Centera device considered, and EMC have no tools to view this info, you would need to compare the XML of the CDF (C-Clip Descriptor File) of items stored for duplicate file items with possible support assistance.

The CDF should contain a MD5 hash for the file content, which should match subsequent archiving operations.

Thanks

Nathan

Project_Man
Level 4

"you would need to compare the XML of the CDF (C-Clip Descriptor File) of items stored for duplicate file items "

How do go about this?