Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV, single instancing, sharing and retention

Jakob
Level 5
Partner

Hi,

assume that i have two vault stores with partitions in it. One store contains a partition on NetApp with Snaplock (name it SnaplockPartition) and the other store contains a partition without Snaplock activated (name it  RegularPartition).

Both Vault Stores are in one Vault Store Group, Sharing is configured wir "Share within group".

E-Mail Journal Archives were stored in Archives which were hosted in the SnaplockPartition.

E-Mail Mailbox Archives were stored in Archives which were hosted in RegularPartition.

Regulary the journal archiving "happens" first. So the SIS parts were stored in the SnaplockPartition. When a few weeks later the same/similar mail is archived out of the mailbox the matching parts were referenced to the existing SIS parts on the SnaplockPartition. So all parts of the mail were stored on the Snaplock NetApp.

What happens when the Journaling is stopped for some reason for a while? The items/SIS Parts will now be stored on the RegularPartition. When the Journal Archving proceeds the shareable Parts now will now only exist on the RegularPartition which is not a "WORM" Medium.

Is it like I assume or are there some priority methods or so which recognize that the items should also exist on the Snaplock Partition?

Thank you

Jakob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ChrisLangevin
Level 6
Employee

Jakob,

The way you describe is correct. The SIS parts will be stored in the partition with the first archived item that contained them. If you have partitions with different WORM status (e.g., SnaplockPartition and RegularPartition), then you could end up where some WORM savesets have non-WORM SIS parts, or vice versa.

If this is a concern for you, please look into the new Smart Partitions feature in EV 12.3. By tagging certain items with Classification, you can force them and all their SIS parts to be stored in a particular chosen partition.

--Chris

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

ChrisLangevin
Level 6
Employee

Jakob,

The way you describe is correct. The SIS parts will be stored in the partition with the first archived item that contained them. If you have partitions with different WORM status (e.g., SnaplockPartition and RegularPartition), then you could end up where some WORM savesets have non-WORM SIS parts, or vice versa.

If this is a concern for you, please look into the new Smart Partitions feature in EV 12.3. By tagging certain items with Classification, you can force them and all their SIS parts to be stored in a particular chosen partition.

--Chris

Hi Chris,

thank you for assuring this assumption!

Yes - i´ve seen this cool feature in the beta... will see if i can use it. But to configure classification is another topic...