cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV upgrade 2007 SP2 to 8.0 SP4

rnt123
Level 5
Are there any “gotchas” or better practices when upgrading clusters (2 nodes, using Microsoft Clustering) beyond what is mentioned in Upgrade_Instructions.htm? This is from 2007 SP2 to 8.0 SP4.

There are 3 clusters, and I only want to upgrade one as a pilot, I want to be sure that users on the other clusters are not affected. Is it OK to have different versions in the same site / directory?

Will users on the upgraded servers be able to take advantage of the new features, even if the other servers are not upgraded yet?

Is it necessary to upgrade the Enterprise Vault OWA and RPC Extensions if they will not be used to archive new items? The only thing they may do is check existing items in the vault.

Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

One big gotcha has to do with the registry.
After upgrade of Microsoft Cluster Server (MSCS) Cluster node Enterprise Vault (EV) registry values are reverted to pre-upgrade values
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/323904.htm

You need to do them all at once if this is one site.  I would also recommend upgrading OWA as well to keep it all on the same version.

Regards,

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

TonySterling

One big gotcha has to do with the registry.
After upgrade of Microsoft Cluster Server (MSCS) Cluster node Enterprise Vault (EV) registry values are reverted to pre-upgrade values
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/323904.htm

You need to do them all at once if this is one site.  I would also recommend upgrading OWA as well to keep it all on the same version.

Regards,

Nick_White
Level 6
Employee

>>There are 3 clusters, and I only want to upgrade one as a pilot, I want to be sure that users on the other clusters are not affected. Is it OK to have different versions in the same site / directory?

Nope, this won't work. All EV servers in the same EV site and/or directory need to be at the same version level

>>Is it necessary to upgrade the Enterprise Vault OWA and RPC Extensions if they will not be used to archive new items? The only thing they may do is check existing items in the vault.

OWA extensions will work fine without being upgraded

rnt123
Level 5
Thanks everyone!

Glad to hear about the OWA, but not the version issue. The thing is, this upgrade is only happening to allow data to be exported from EV so it can be decommissioned.

So it is not OK to have different versions in the same site / directory even temporarily? Is it an upgrade to the database that would "break" the 2007 servers?

TonySterling

Correct, you can not have different versions of EV servers in the same site.  there is only one directory db and all the EV servers will need to talk to it.