cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV with 4 Critical alerts status

Victor_Castro
Level 3

Hi community am Víctor... and i new in veritas EV

i have a new client with EV and now its my resposability to admin this platform... but i take it with several errors that i dont know how to throubleshoot... i need to understand the product.... i need to solved one by one and i need your help please...

Errors: 

• Deleted items waiting to be deleted from indexes (13959 items deleted from vault but not from indexes)
  • New item awaiting backup or replication (9906281 savesets that have not yet been backed up for Vault Store)
  • Days since last check that newly-archived data is secure
  • Days since Exchange journal mailbox scanned for new items
  • Many index with Missing Items and 1 Index with Status Failed

i attach images with the evidence.... please help me... i need orientation

Many thanks

10 REPLIES 10

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Victor,

Managing EV without having knowledge is going to be a challenge...

The main thing you need to work on is the 'items awaiting backup or replication'. This usually means that you need to make sure the backup of the archived items has been performed. To get rid of these, you need to set backup mode on the Vault Stores, and then clear backup mode again. that should process the 'items waiting backup'. BUT... that depends on what storage you use, and how backup is being done. If you check the properties of the Vault Store partitions, what is the backup type? Do you have 'use archive attribute' or 'check for triggerfile'? If archive attribute, verify the backup is actually clearing the archive attribute. If you use a triggerfile, verify the triggerfile is written before the backup mode is cleared. Setting/Clearing backup mode should also fix that 'deleted items waiting to be deleted from indexes'.

Days since Journal Mailbox scanned indicates an issue with archiving the Journal Mailbox. does the journal mailbox have items to be archived? If so, verify the task is not in report mode, and the vault store where the archive is is not in backup mode. If both are true, restart the archiving task for that journal mailbox.

For your indexes, a failed index you should try a Sync index first. If that fails, do a rebuild of the index. For the others (having items missing from index), you can try a sync first. Verify you have diskspace left at your index locations.

IF this is going to be a lengthy assignment, see if you can get a training on EV, admin I and/or II preferably. That should give you a better understanding of how to handle these kind of issues.

Regards. Gertjan

Thanks for your reply,

I check your suggestions and for your Questions i have Answers:

I set the Backup Mode and after 1 minute, i Clear the Backup Mode (I attach images)

1. In the Vault Store partitions, what is the backup type?
    1. It have configured "Use the archive attribute" (see de image attached)
  2. Verify the task is not in report mode, and the vault store where the archive is is not in backup mode. If both are true, restart the archiving task for that journal mailbox 
    1. The task it not in report mode... and the vault its not in Backup Mode... I restart the task for Journal Mailbox
  3. A failed index you should try a Sync index first. If that fails, do a rebuild of the index
    1. I Syncronized the Index but finalice with Warning "Items with errors" status
    2. I Rebuild the Index and im waiting to finish 
  4. For the others (having items missing from index), you can try a sync first
    1. I Syncronized 13 indexes with <10 Missed Items and all of them finaliced with Warning "Items with errors" status (See the Image Attached)
  5. Verify you have diskspace left at your index locations
    1. I have in the F: Disk more than 16Gb free of 100Gb total size (See the imaged attached)

Any suggestion to continue reviewing this issues??

Thanks

GertjanA

hmm. Are you running SQL and EV on the same server? That is (for a production server) not really supported. For a test environment it is ok, but for production it is a bit dangerous. You might have an overload on the server, due to SQL processing.

You also need to think about adding/expanding the Index location disk. The advise is to keep at least 10% free space on index locations.

It is 'normal' some items fail to index. The items are either corrupt, encrypted, or otherwise not indexable. In the index administartion tool, if you click the name of one of the archives, you should be able to click Report. That shows what the issue might be.

You see in the backup screenshot you send, that EV is actually scanning the location for 'items which are backed up'. Patience :-)... If you open Internet Explorer on the EV server, go to: http://localhost/enterprisevault/usage.asp, you will get a page showing info on the archives. If you refresh, you should see the 'items awaiting backup' going down. If it does not, verify the backup is actually clearing the archive attribute. If it does not, set backup mode, then use the command prompt to clear the archive attribute (attrib -a *.* /s (I believe)). Then clear backup mode.

For the rest, see if you can get someone onsite to give you some first start in EV. That will save you headaches, and hopefully assists in getting you to know EV faster.

Regards. Gertjan

Gerjan,

• Are you running SQL and EV on the same server?- Yes, its running on same server "so it was configured"
  • Verify the backup is actually clearing the archive attribute- How i can verify this?? "I attach one screenshot to review"- The Waiting number is increasing
  • Then use the command prompt to clear the archive attribute- but, i thinking... i could configure the backup to clear the archive attribute, right??- how i do it this??

I attach 2 Logs with the Syncronize tasks finished with Warning for review and future suggestions

Many thanks

Víctor

GertjanA

Hello Victor,

You really need to get someone on-site to assist. Doing this from a remote location is really difficult. I can give you pointers, but you really need to figure stuff out on your end, sorry to say.

Having production SQL and EV on the same server goes against every 'best practice'. You should look into seperating SQL out (or EV for that matter), but then you will really need a partner to assist. I for one am not going to tell you how to do it, as that leaves a lot of room for mistakes and errors.

Verifying backup: in your Vault Store Partition, look at the location of that VSP. Go to that VSP location. Browse to an item which has been archived a while ago. (folder structure = yy\mm-dd\number\more numbers\items rightclick an item with extention DVS/DVSSC/DVSSP and look at the Archive Attribute field. (at the bottom, Attributes, Archive should have NO tick)

You should indeed be able to configure the backup software to clear the archive attribute after backup, but I am not a backup expert, so don't know.

As for the index of some items, I would ignore that. It is very few, so live with that for now. I noticed you had 90% of your items awaiting backup, you really need to get that sorted first.

Good luck (again!)

Regards. Gertjan

Many thanks for all Gertjan,

I really appreciate your time to respond and try to guide me as best you can

• Configure the backup software to clear the archive attribute after backupWe have configured the SQL backup with a schedule "Backup Full" on the same SQL Server Management Studio or the backup that you indicate is of another type??

I review the attributes on the Vault Store Location and i attach an image with evidence

With the support assist on site, in Chile there are not many and im talking to other areas of my company to give the Assist ID and after that, i will be able to generate a case with Veritas...

GertjanA

Hi Victor.

Backup of Enterprise Vault is basically 2 things. 1 = SQL database backup. 2 = Indexes and Vault stores.If I understand you correct, you do make full backups of your SQL EV Databases. You also need to backup (and clear the archive attribute) the Vault Stores and Indexes!

In your case, E:\Enterprise Vault Stores\*.* for the Vault Stores.

Now, if you have multiple partitions (like that VaultStorMCC Ptn1) which are closed, you need to backup those once a week. The open partitions you need to backup daily. During backup, clear the archiving atribute.

Suggestion:

Set backup mode on Vault Stores and Indexes. Backup SQL database, and Vault Store Partitions and Indexes. Clear backup mode. Be aware that there will be a performance hit on SQL after you clear backup mode, due to the processing EV needs to do to properly handle the 'items pending backup'. If you want to test, backup 1 Vault Store Partition, clear archive attribute, see what happens.

Regards. Gertjan

GertjanA

Hi Victor,

How are you getting on? Need more help? Or everything under control?

GJ

Regards. Gertjan

Hi Gertjan,

iam on vacations now... and i dont have posibilities to execute those... 

when i come back to work, i run your indications

thanks

Víctor

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

Viktor,

which backup solution are you using?

Some solutions do not support "archive bit trigger"

in this case:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH35610

If you are not able to solve this consult somone to support you.