cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV10 and SQL Upgrade

charles-k
Level 5

Hi all,

I'm currently working through an EV8 to EV10 upgrade/migration.  I've completed the EV8 to EV9 in-place upgrade on the 32-bit server, and I've exported the migration package with the Server Settings Migration Wizard.  I'm also going to upgrade the EV databases by detaching them from SQL Server 2005 on the old server and attaching them to SQL Server 2008 R2 on the new server.  My question is, should this be done before or after running the Server Settings Migration Wizard on the target server?  Does the SSMW need the EV databases to already be on the target server?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I would suggest doing it now before the migration and make sure it works
because if something doesn't work then you have to wonder whether it was the ev server migration or the db migration, so doing it in smaller steps may take just a little longer, but if anything were to break, you'd be able to identify it alot quicker

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

if you already exported the setting for the migrations then you should do the migration first and then do your SQL after. You migration config has your current SQL server, if you change/upgrade your sql server now you will have problems with your EV migrations as it will look for your current sql server name. Rge alternative is to upgrade the sql server first then set EV to use the new sql server etc. get this working first then run the ev server migration wizzard for the ev server migration.

hope this helps.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I would suggest doing it now before the migration and make sure it works
because if something doesn't work then you have to wonder whether it was the ev server migration or the db migration, so doing it in smaller steps may take just a little longer, but if anything were to break, you'd be able to identify it alot quicker

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

charles-k
Level 5

I appreciate the quick responses.  So if I did the SQL work first, then is this the right procedure?

-- install SQL 2008 R2 on new server

-- detach EV databases from old server (SQL Mgmt Studio)

-- copy all MDF and LDF files to the new server (same path)

-- on new server:
                 create databases with same name as existing databases
                 for each new database, attach MDF/LDF files
                 install EV10, but don't configure
                 run Server Settings Migration Wizard

Thanks again for your help.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i believe you just attach the databases that you copied over. you dont create new ones.

have a look here: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH35744

charles-k
Level 5

Thanks for all of your responses.  I detached the databases from the old server, copied over the SQL files, attached them on the new server with the same database names, and since I'm reusing the same hostname/IP (the old server was shut down), I didn't have to  update SQL tables with the new server name.  Then I ran the SSMW, and all verifications passed.  Thanks again to everyone!