cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV10 - search times out for a user, works for another

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello all,

I have a strange issue on an archive. This is EV10SP4CHF2. The archive contains approximately 425.000 items, dating as far back as 03-2003. The index is healthy, and has been verified. the archive is from a so-called functional mailbox (group-mailbox). Permissions on the archive are set to the mailbox itself, and a group containing 10 users, including the user having the issue.

The user states that if he uses the Search (outside of Outlook, so an IE window opens), he enters a word in the subject, and sets the data search to only "to 01/01/2014" (leave From empty), the search times out. The eventviewer shows event 41315, with below entry:

A search failed with error "The search did not complete in the required time.".

Archive: ArchiveNAme
Archive ID: 188C046EC64AD734C9384B5BAC78359701110000.domain.com
Index volume ID: 46725
User: Domain\UserName
Maximum results: 10
Timeout (seconds): 120
Sort order: -date

When I grant myself permissions on the archive, I get the expected result within 8 seconds.16931 results returned.

I have had the user go directly to the search.asp on each EV-server we have, all same result. When a colleague with access to the archive performs the same search, it works as it does for me.

I believe therefor there must be an issue on the workstation of the user, causing  the search to fail. However, it seems to be difficult to troubleshoot. The use has already been give a new windows profile, and a new outlook profile.

If anyone has a suggestion on trying next, I'd be gratefull.

Thanks in advance!

Regards. Gertjan
3 REPLIES 3

Pradeep-Papnai
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Dtrace of (IndexQueryServer & w3wp) comparison in both conditions when affected user perform search & when normal user perform search should help to find out the reason. I had similar issue in past & amazingly disabling EV auditing helped. Then the focus was moved to fix audit configuration.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Thanks Pradeep,

I'll try that. We do not use auditing, and it has not been configured ever.

But, I'll run the dtrace and see what I can find.

Regards. Gertjan

JimmyNeutron
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi GertjanA,

Reset the user's IE withing the Internet options>Advanced tab. Make sure that it is set as the default browser as well.