cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV11 Custom Filtering & SMTP archiving/journaling

dihrig
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Can't seem to find any reference to this - does EV11 SMTP archiving (when used for Exchange journaling) support custom filtering (for example, rule set files for setting retention based on membership in a DL). Or, is there equivalent functionality using some other new method? Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

BigPhil
Level 5

I'm not wrapping my head around something here. Why would you use SMTP archiving if you have Exchange Journaling? Regardless, after reading the documentation, it doesn't appear that custom filtering is available for SMTP archiving.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

because it's awesome? no really, you can journal directly from the Exchange HT to EV completely bypassing the need to write all the journaled emails to a mailbox (or multiple mailboxes) in Exchange and then having EV come in afterwards to archive out of the journal mailbox(es)

dihrig
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Looks like SMTP Selective Journaling might help provide some functionality around setting retention. Can't test this at the moment, however. Has anyone used SMTP Selective Journaling yet?

Reading through the docs for Selective Journaling, I see that each address (ie, user) you want journaled must be defined as an smtp target address, which defines the retention category and archive to use.

Scenario: Let's say I only need to journal 3 users. 3 targets are defined, each with a different retention category, but all storing in the same Journal archive. A message is received which includes all 3 users. Which of the 3 retention categories will be applied to the message when archived?