cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV11 - Different retention policy for specific message class

mwiggs2000
Level 4

I want to archive IPM.Schedule.Meeting.* and REPORT.IPM*, but apply a specific retention policy to those files.

I find I am being left with folders full of these file types, because they are not included in my existing archive policy.

I have added the IPM.Schedule.Meeting.* class, and created a retention policy I want to use.

I then created a new Mailbox policy, which applied the settings I want, and selected the Message Classes I want.

I then created a provisioning group, and tied this all together, and applied it to one user.

It hasn't helped though. I assume a mailbox can only be assigned to one provisioning group.

Is there another way of acheiving what I am after?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Yes, that is correct.  And yes, I believe that looks right.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi,

You can apply an EVPM (Policy manager) script to a user mailbox. Take a look at this technote:

Creating Retention Folders in Outlook using Enterprise Vault Policy Manager (EVPM)
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH74355

mwiggs2000
Level 4

Hi Gabe,

I have looked through the EVPM documentation, and I can't see how to filter by the message class.

Any pointers?

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi mwiggs2000,

If you want to apply a different retention based in the MessageClass then you can use Custom Filtering. With EVPM, you can apply a different retention to one folder but you would need to keep those items in that folder. In the EV documentation, custom filtering is covered in the Setting up Exchange Server Archiving document. For instance, here is one of the examples in the documentation:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<RULE_SET xmlns="x-schema:ruleset schema.xdr">
  <RULE NAME="MBX DIFF_RET_CAT" ACTION="ARCHIVE_ITEM" CONTENTCATEGORY="MsgClassTest" RETENTION="180Day">
    <NAMEDPROP TAG="MSGCLASS" INCLUDES="ANY">
      <PROP VALUE="IPM.Appointment" />
    </NAMEDPROP>
  </RULE>
</RULE_SET>

Settings in the file are used as follows:

- NAME="MBX DIFF_RET_CAT". This setting assigns a name to the rule. If Dtrace logging is enabled for the Exchange Mailbox task, the rule name is displayed when items are evaluated using this rule.
- ACTION="ARCHIVE_ITEM" CONTENTCATEGORY="MsgClassTest" RETENTION="180Day". Items that match the rule are processed as follows:
---- The items are archived.
---- The settings that are defined in the content category, MsgClassTest, are applied to the items. (The content category is defined in the file, Custom Properties.xml ).
---- The existing retention category, 180Day, is applied to the items.
- The <NAMEDPROP> element defines the message property and value to use when evaluating items using this rule. TAG="MSGCLASS" is the Enterprise Vault label for the property . This label is assigned to the associated MAPI property in Custom Properties.xml

I hope this helps.

mwiggs2000
Level 4

Okay, I'm getting a bit confused.

So, I have setup my registry like this:

Capture1_0.PNG

Capture2_1.PNG

Now, I am looking at my xml files in the "custom filter rules" folder.

What I don't understand, is how to apply a rule to all mailboxes, but not affect the existing archiving jobs.

Essentially, I want this to archive a couple of message classes with a specific retention policy for all mailboxes, then continue with its normal archiving for the rest of the message classes, for those same mailboxes.

Do I have to re-write my existing archive rules in XML, so 100% of my archiving options are defined in the custom filtering rules?

mwiggs2000
Level 4

I have read the documentation about custom filter rulesets, and it states that:

"By default items that do not match any rules are archived by the mailbox archiving
task or the journal archiving task."

Does that mean that if I create a custom ruleset that applies to just one messageclass type, all other items will get archived by the mailbox archiving task, which will use the exchange mailbox policy that is set to default?

So, if I create a "user name.xml" file like this:

<?xml version="1.0"?> 
<RULE_SET xmlns="x-schema:ruleset schema.xdr">
    <RULE NAME="MBX DIFF_RET_CAT" ACTION="ARCHIVE_ITEM" CONTENTCATEGORY="MsgClassTest" RETENTION="3Months">
        <NAMEDPROP TAG="MSGCLASS" INCLUDES="ANY">
            <PROP VALUE="IPM.Schedule.Meeting.*" />
        </NAMEDPROP>
    </RULE>
</RULE_SET>

Would my "custom properties.xml" look like this?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
<CUSTOMPROPERTYMETADATA xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="customproperties.xsd">
    <CONTENTCATEGORIES DEFAULT="MsgClassTest">
        <CONTENTCATEGORY NAME="MsgClassTest">
            <INDEXEDPROPERTIES>
                <PROPERTY TAG="MSGCLASS"/>
            </INDEXEDPROPERTIES>
        </CONTENTCATEGORY>
    </CONTENTCATEGORIES>
    <CUSTOMPROPERTIES>
        <NAMESPACE TYPE="MAPI">
            <PROPERTY TAG="MSGCLASS" NAME="0x001A" />
        </NAMESPACE>
    </CUSTOMPROPERTIES>
    <PRESENTATION>
        <APPLICATION NAME="search.asp" LOCALE="1033">
            <FIELDGROUPS>
                <FIELDGROUP LABEL="Content Category">
                    <FIELD TAG="MSGCLASS" LABEL="Message Class" CATEGORY="MsgClassTest"/>
                </FIELDGROUP>
            </FIELDGROUPS>
            <AVAILABLECATEGORIES>
                <AVAILABLECATEGORY CONTENTCATEGORY="MsgClassTest" LABEL="Message Class Test"/>
            </AVAILABLECATEGORIES>
        </APPLICATION>
    </PRESENTATION>
</CUSTOMPROPERTYMETADATA>

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Yes, that is correct.  And yes, I believe that looks right.