Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV11 Search and MDS question

Fiona
Level 4
Certified

Hi guys,

I have just upgraded to v11 CHF4 and I have a few questions about deploying the new search feature.

We have approx. 10,000 users and very powerful servers with no performance issues and I plan to deploy slowly by group.

I have run Search on a few IT mailboxes without MDS (Fast Browse) enabled and Search seems very fast so I was wondering if Fast Browse was worth enabling?

If I do enable it, it would be easier to enable the whole site and let each MDS create as each person does a search.

Anybody had any issues doing it this way?

If I do have to enable it on a group by group basis, does anyone have a script which picks up the people in the AD group and gets their Archive ID for the EVMDS PowerShell utility?

(yes admitting to not being a PS user…… promise to start learning it for EV soon as I have 5 minutes spare…..)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Elio_C
Level 6

Hi,

Regarding the AD group/ArchiveID match for the EVMDS PS script. I was in a similar situation and I didn't have the time to develop anything too clever so I just exported the 'MbxNTUser' and 'DefaultVaultID' from the ExchangeMailboxEntry table in the Directory database. Then a quick bit of excel matching with the AD group memberships and use the below from the EV PS guide:

Get-Content c:\archives.txt | New-EVMDSBuildTask -Mode Build

This command reads a list of archive IDs from a text file (one per line), and creates a Metadata Store build task for each archive.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Elio_C
Level 6

Hi,

Regarding the AD group/ArchiveID match for the EVMDS PS script. I was in a similar situation and I didn't have the time to develop anything too clever so I just exported the 'MbxNTUser' and 'DefaultVaultID' from the ExchangeMailboxEntry table in the Directory database. Then a quick bit of excel matching with the AD group memberships and use the below from the EV PS guide:

Get-Content c:\archives.txt | New-EVMDSBuildTask -Mode Build

This command reads a list of archive IDs from a text file (one per line), and creates a Metadata Store build task for each archive.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

nice idea!

Fiona
Level 4
Certified

Thanks EC.

Was still wondering if anyone has enabled the whole site and let each MDS create as each person does a search?

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

is there a delay for the user in that scenario?

Fiona
Level 4
Certified

I dont think so, I think the MDS just builds in the background but the user can still search the archive

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

remark, be advised using MDS makes the vaultstore database grow significantly. I believe that is in the performance guide. Make sure you have ample space on SQL server hosting stores.

Regards. Gertjan

Fiona
Level 4
Certified

Thanks Gertjan we have very ample space. 

Do you have any thoughts on deploying this to the whole site?

As I plan to deploy by group it would be a gradual build up anyway and as it only creates once they start the first search