cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV11 Storage Queue

Elio_C
Level 6

Hi,

Just upgraded to EV11.0.1 hotfix 2 (Windows 2008 R2) and I'm seeing the below events.

I have the Safety Copy setting as "No, remove immediately after archive" and my monitoring showed the Queue Total Length and Queue Pending Length at around 50,000 items (the pending being a few hundred less than the total) and around 20GB for a large part of the overnight archiving window. This morning it's all back to "normal" 0 items and the space is recovered.

Does this seem "normal"?

I've tried researching the event and can't find anything, is there any "tuning" available?

Thanks,

Log Name:      Symantec Enterprise Vault
Source:        Enterprise Vault 
Date:          9/8/2015 3:12:28 AM
Event ID:      29000
Task Category: Storage Online
Level:         Warning
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      EV1
Description:
Item has not been added to the storage queue because the queue has reached its maximum length. 

Enterprise Vault will automatically try again later.  

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://entced.symantec.com/entt?product=ev&language=english&version=11.0.1.0&build=11.0.1.3573&error=V-437-29000
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Enterprise Vault " />
    <EventID Qualifiers="32772">29000</EventID>
    <Level>3</Level>
    <Task>47</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-09-07T19:12:28.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>31728350</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Symantec Enterprise Vault</Channel>
    <Computer>EV1</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
  </EventData>
</Event>
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Your welcome.

As for the number of items, rightclick the vaultserver in the VAC, properties, Advanced, dropdown Storage.

There you can select Threshold for number of queued items.

The queue dropping is good, as that means that the items are written to storage after your scheduled run is happening. If I recall correct, the storage queue will fill up to 50.000 by default, and then only accepts items if items are written from storage queue to ev data store.

Check this link as starter : http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO109407

It leads to some description of the how and why.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

GertjanA

Hi EC,

How are your schedules? I had more or less the same, and I changed the schedules.

I basically made sure there is an hour 'non activity' between the scheduled archiving run, and EV going into backup mode.

I had my scheduled runs running until 12, then ev went in backup mode. That left some items in the queue. Those are processed as soon as EV comes out of backup mode. I did not have the above event, cause we're not having any backlog. I changed the scheduled run to run until 23:00, now no more remaining items in queue.

It might be you are archiving a lot, and your storage is 'slow', , or your databases are needing maintenance etc. I'd verify schedules first, but also look at the archiving reports to see if you archive lots.

Regards. Gertjan

Elio_C
Level 6

Thank you (as always) Gertjan,

There is no nightly backup in this site, we archive Monday to Friday and full backups over the weekend.

Your point is valid though, I see a large amount of archiving on a Monday overnight and it lessens each subsequent overnight run (last week something like Monday=250k items down to around Friday=50k items).

Any idea if this limit can be adjusted anywhere? I'm not sure but would guess there is a 50,000 'pending' limit configured somewhere.

The way the queue built was odd to me, steadily climbed to around 50k then hovered until the warnings, then droppped at the end of the schedule. There are a few, <10%, mailboxes not processed and it processed 250k items in 8 hours. Perhaps I'm just archiving too much for the hardware and will have to live with this error during a "busy" archive run.

GertjanA

Your welcome.

As for the number of items, rightclick the vaultserver in the VAC, properties, Advanced, dropdown Storage.

There you can select Threshold for number of queued items.

The queue dropping is good, as that means that the items are written to storage after your scheduled run is happening. If I recall correct, the storage queue will fill up to 50.000 by default, and then only accepts items if items are written from storage queue to ev data store.

Check this link as starter : http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO109407

It leads to some description of the how and why.

Regards. Gertjan

Elio_C
Level 6

This looks like it was related to the TMP files and my custom use of ‘DelFileTypes’ and ‘DelFilesOlderThanHours’. I had previously added these entries to clean the ExchangePerflog*.dat files but neglected to include the default values in with my changes.

I moved the TEMP/TMP locations, cleaned up the registry values and restarted. All now running as I'd expect.

Thanks for the help.