Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV11 USL and Storage Queue

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello all,

This is a follow-up question on my previous question:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/storage-queue-building-block A Symantec Engineer pointed to https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH231820.html, which states at the bottom:When failed over, it is recommended to keep all vault stores in backup mode.

Now consider this scenario:

I have a PROD and a DR server. Due to hardware reaching EOL, 2 new servers have been purchased and installed. I now have PROD_old, PROD_new, DR_old and DR_new. The new servers also have aliasses, the data and indexdata is replicated to them also. The new servers are joined to the EV-site.

To switch EV functions to the new hardware, we will perform an USL. It is then obviously not possible to keep the stores in backup mode. (as the new servers will be the active ones). The old servers will be removed from the EV-site, and decommissioned.

How should then the storagequeue be handled? We've been discussing internally, but have not come to an agreement. I lean to setting the archiving tasks in report mode, and monitor the storagequeue to see if end when it empties. Then we will set backup mode, sync a last time, and only then we will perform the USL.

Another opinion is to set backupmode, sync a last time, copy over the storagequeue, then perform USL.

I checked another site, and the storagequeue is empty, due to scheduled archiving having finished, backups succeeded etc,.

Anyone having an opinion on this?

thanks.

GJ

Regards. Gertjan
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

if symantec has identified a bug then it sounds like your best bet would be if you can do it when the storage queue is empty.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

if symantec has identified a bug then it sounds like your best bet would be if you can do it when the storage queue is empty.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

A small test showed that setting the archiving tasks in report mode makes sure the storagequeue empties.

This is the same as in pre-EV11, where tasks in report mode still process the MSMQ - storagequeue.

Same functionality, different location :)

Regards. Gertjan