cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV7.5 database move

Tom12
Level 2

So we have an old installation of Exchange 2007 with EV 7.5 on windows 2003 servers.  As part of our migration off of Windows 2003 we will be going to a hosted Exchange solution.  Problem is all the hardware didn't make it to the migration window.

We just lost the motherboard on the SQL server supporting EV.  It is the only database on that server so everything else is fine.

We were lucky enough to have an exact same physical server that we canibalized to get the EVDB server back up and running, simply swapped out the drives.  Now the problem is that I need the server we sacrificed back up and running.

Long story short:  I need to migrate the SQL databases from EV7.5 SP6 to another SQL server.  From what I have read in other discussions is that I can't just simply move to SQL2008R2.

Can I move the databases to SQL2008R2 with compatibility mode 90?

Also, what else needs to change in the configuration besides the APP server DSNs?

Thank you for a prompt reply,

Tom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Just to update the thread with off-line conversations.  I would not recommend moving to SQL 2008.  If possible, install SQL 2005 on the EV Server and use it temporarily.  It will at least get you running for now and buy some breathing room.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

EV 7.5 supports up to SQL 2005 so if you can move the databases to a SQL 2005 server you'll be all set.

here's a technote on the process: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/videos/how-move-enterprise-vault-sql-databases-another-sql-server

Tom12
Level 2

Thanks Andrew, do you know if SQL2008 compatibility 90 would work?  If I tried it with a copy of the database on a new server, how bad could the results be?   Knowing I could always resort back to the good copy of the databases do you think this is worth a test?  Anyone else out there tried this?  I've seen quite a few questions like this but no answers.

Video looks helpful.  Hopefully this will get us through the next few months until we are done with EV.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Just to update the thread with off-line conversations.  I would not recommend moving to SQL 2008.  If possible, install SQL 2005 on the EV Server and use it temporarily.  It will at least get you running for now and buy some breathing room.