cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV7 SP1 on Windows 2003 Server SP2 with failed MMC Snap-in

Leo_Wan
Level 5
I just tried to install EV7 SP1 on Windows 2003 Server that installed with newly release SP2. However, the Administration Console prompts with a lot of error and the tool bar and menu bar for EV was all disappeared.

Understand the compatibility list may not cert for W2K3 SP2 at the moment, just want to know if anybody had tried this and give me some hints.

Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10

Jill_Jones
Level 4
Leo-
Windows SP2 installed the "new and improved" version 3.0 of the MMC.

The mmc.exe is located in the c:\windows\System32 folder.

I believe that you can replace the mmc.exe with the older version 2.0.

Give it a whirl and let me know if it works.

JJ

Leo_Wan
Level 5
I just replaced the mmc.exe from another W2K3 with SP1 but seems doesn't work. it looked even worse is the VAC didn't even comes up. I guess apart from the mmc.exe, some more .dll should be replaced as well.

Jill_Jones
Level 4
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907265

I'd replace the mmc.exe back to the version you had and try the section on Incompatible user preference settings for .msc file. And rather than delte the folder, I would rename it.Message was edited by:
Jill Jones

Ben_Holmes
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Has anyone managed to get this working?

Does anyone know if Symantec Support have a fix for this yet?

Rob_Hanson
Level 6
Employee
No fix from Symantec for this issue to date.

Phisher
Level 3
We installed the Admin Tool on an XP box and connect to the EV server. MMC3.0 is not compatible and Symantec will have it available with the EV2007 release next month. Our rep says there's no plan to support with older EV.

10e
Level 3
Partner
Hi Leo,

The new snapin.dll is available as a zipped hotfix from support.veritas.com for EV7. It fixes the EV6/EV7 issues. I have installed it, and it does work. The "Tools" menu has re-appeared and the EV7 Vault MMC works without errors.

All you do is take down the Admin service (which takes down all other services), rename the old SNAPIN.DLL in the EV directory, replace it, and start Admin Service (and all other services) up again.

Good luck,

10e

CGYJones
Level 3
There is a fix for this now:

Cheers!

Ricky_Leung_ric
Level 3
HI All

Can EV6.0 also apply these EV hotfix ?

Anyone EV6.0 have success installed it before 
Best Regards