cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV8 Leavers Policy & Procedure

EVMan
Level 4
Hi

As with every organisation you have leavers. We have setup a new policy namely leavers. This then targets an OU in our Active Directory and works well in archiving all items in a leavers mailbox.
Thats great. But is there any way of then disabling that mailbox automatically in EV8? As this counts towards our license count of which we need to reduce. How is the best way to set this up with EV8?

The other question is once a user is moved into the 'Leavers OU' in AD it then takes on the new leavers retention category? Am i right in saying despite what retention that mailbox had previously it will then take on the new retention period of the leavers category. As in our case we keep emails in the vault for 7 years; so once that mailbox is a leaver potentially we need to agree upon a new retention period once people have left the organisation?

thanks in advance!

James
6 REPLIES 6

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hi James,

There should be a document about this somewhere.
Found: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/273123.htm

As soon as the mailbox is completely archived, you remove the mailbox.
I believe that from that point on, the license is 'freed' as you no longer archive that mailbox.

The archive remains, and keeps the retention as defined in the policy provisioning group.
If you assigned a new policy, the items being archived get this policy, the existing ones keep the retention they originally had.

Gertjan

Regards. Gertjan

EVMan
Level 4
Hi Again

Thnaks for response. I see now so i could have a new leavers provisioning group with a leavers mailbox policy to archive everything over 0 days. But tie this to the standard 7 year retention? That way when a user changes to the leavers policy they will continue using the retention category they had when they were an employee?!

thanks
James

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hello James,

There is a difference between archivingpolicy and retentioncategory.

1 - make a new archiving policy, all the same as your default, except for the 0-day archiving set
2 - make a new provisioning group (as no 1), with the new archivingpolicy to use

Result:
People in the provisioning 1 (leavers) will get the default policy PLUS ev will archive everything immediately.
The retentioncategory will remain the same (as that can be set in the policy)
Leavers mailboxes should be empty in a day or 3, but there archived items will remain in the archive until they hit the 7 year mark.

Hope this is more clear.

Gertjan
Regards. Gertjan

EVMan
Level 4
Hi

Thanks again that makes sense now. So further to your first reply, i should not have to disable the mailbox as well once that user has had the leavers policy applied and all emails for them put in their archive? EV should not see the mailbox (as its been removed from Exchange) because it cannot see it on the targetted exchange server....

I was under the impression we needed to disable the mailboxes in order to get our license count down.
In EV7 we used the evpm scripts too in order to strip the user permissions off the archive and then add domain admins or the ev system account directly to that archive. This worked great. Do you know if there are powershell scripts of the equivelant i can use with EV8 that will strip user permssions off an archive?

With this information we can now build a  correct leavers policy that our helpdesk can use!

thanks for your time

James

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
James

There is no "license count" in EV.
EV does not enforce those licenses (yet).

There is no PowerShell script, but the EVPM Scripts do still work.

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi

Do you need any more information here?
If not, and you are satisfied with a provided answer, can you choose this as Solution, please?

Thanks & Regards
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.