cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV8 Sp2 - FSA Police File Extensions without archiving

wilsond3010
Level 6
Partner
Wondering is it possible to setup FSA to put policy's about file shares without actually archiving anything off

We have a customer who has HSM solution for archiving at the moment but it cannot do real time policing of the shares for file extensions but since they are looking for EV for Mail thought we could do this as a added bonus.

Is my logic out too lunch
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Does the current HSM solution have an agent on the File Server?

There may be issues between the FSA Agent and the current solution.

As long as you don't create any archive rules nothing on the file server will be archived.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Correct me if i'm wrong but it sounds like you want to simulate FSA but not archive anything?

If this is correct then you can setup and EV environment and run EV in report mode. This i believe will give you what you are looking for.

wilsond3010
Level 6
Partner
I didn't think report mode would do it.

Since we want it to actively block the putting of the pst, mp3 and avi's down onto the drives.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Does the current HSM solution have an agent on the File Server?

There may be issues between the FSA Agent and the current solution.

As long as you don't create any archive rules nothing on the file server will be archived.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
oh ok then report mode wont do it

If you are running Windows 2003 R2 you can do a file blocking screening native within Windows.
Here is the process how

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Implementing-File-Screening-Windows-Server-2003-R2.html

wilsond3010
Level 6
Partner
Thanks I'll have a look at that

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
You should convince the customer to replace the HSM solution with a real archiving Solution using Enterprise Vault :)

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.