cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV8 and Celerra Placeholder deletion

Alan_M
Level 6
I am trying to get the Delete on Delete functionality to work on a Celerrra with EV 8. Placeholder creation is working fine and I see the EV process that scans the Celerra box (dhsm.log) to determine if Placeholders have been deleted but despite there being entries in the dhsm.log file no archived items are being removed. Deletion is enabled at both the site and Retention category level and I can manually delete archived items through Archive Explorer.

Does anyone have any experience or ideas as to why this is not working?

Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
The EV 8 readme has this:

Celerra placeholder delete option is restricted to volume level [Ref E967228]
The FSA folder policy option Delete archived file when placeholder is deleted does not apply to EMC Celerra devices. For Celerra volumes, use the same option in the volume policy properties.

So I assume the same limitation as mentioned here apply:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/292572

Excerpt:

This functionality is also limited to the volume policy level, if this option is selected at the folder policy level the selections are ignored, only volume policy level selections for Delete on Delete are honored.

Alan_M
Level 6

Tony

I am targeting the root of a Celerra file system which is presented as a CIFS share. The CIFS share is a Volume within EV with an associated Volume Policy. I have files in the root and sub-folders all of which get archived and placeholders created. As Placeholders are deleted these entries are added to the DHSM.log file and then the EV process runs which is supposed to read this log see that Placeholders have been deleted and then deleted the associated archived item.

Regardless of the Placeholder location no archived items are deleted and that does not tie in with the documentation.

Thanks.

Alan

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hey Alan,

could be the DeleteOnDelete registry key keeping the delete from occurring.

let us know,

Regards,

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Alan Did you sort this out yet? Cheers Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.