cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV8 backup rights

KalmerK
Level 2
Partner
Hello. We recently upgraded from EV2007 (SP2) to EV8.0. There's a strange issue with setting backup states. In Vault Admin Console, upper right corner the logged-in user is properly listed as an Storage Administrator (as is specified in Authorization Manager). But if I want to change backup states, then all the options in the 'Set state' menu are grayed out. If I log in with Vault Service Account, then all choices are there as they should, I can call cmdlets from batch files, and setting states works perfectly. Has anyone seen this issue?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

KalmerK
Level 2
Partner
There was an upgrade error which is documented in the knowledge base: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/297562.htm After copying the EvAzStore_Inst.xml file to the required directory the error disappeared from the logs. But I still manually had to write the new schema to the Directory database. I opened the new schema in the Authorization Manager, on exit I agreed to write the new information to the Directory database and restarted Vault Administration Console. This finally solved the issue. Thanks for your advice! :)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Seems you need to have more rights in the Authorization Manager. Can't tell you which, however, I haven't got a test system right now :(

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

KalmerK
Level 2
Partner
In the Vault Administration Console, upper right corner, following roles are listed. kalmeradmin (File Server Administrator Messaging Administrator Power Administrator PST Administrator SharePoint Administrator Storage Administrator Exchange Administrator Domino Administrator) In the Authorization Manager there is an admin group where user 'kalmeradmin' belongs to. Could this be more of an upgrade issue than a configuration issue?

MichelZ
Level 6
Strange. I just checked, and I seems you need to have the "EVT Manage Vault Store Backup Mode" Task definition, which is included in the "Storage Administrator" Role. So, this seems to be a bug, I believe. I'd suggest that you open a case with SYMC to sort this out. Cheers Michel

KalmerK
Level 2
Partner
Authorization Manager is currently using EvAzStore.xml as an Authorization Store. However it seems to be the old pre-upgrade store, because the "EVT Manage Vault Store Backup Mode" task definition is not defined under "Storage Administrator" role. During the upgrade a new schema was deployed to C:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\InitialConfigurationData\En\RBA\EVAzStore_Ship.xml I can see the task definition there, if I open the new store in Authorization Manager. Probably the old store should be closed, new one opened and written to the Directory database?

MichelZ
Level 6
This seems reasonable, yes. Just back up the old one in case you need it again. Is there anything in the Eventlog for RBA? Could you be hit by this: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/317608.htm Cheers Michel

KalmerK
Level 2
Partner
There was an upgrade error which is documented in the knowledge base: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/297562.htm After copying the EvAzStore_Inst.xml file to the required directory the error disappeared from the logs. But I still manually had to write the new schema to the Directory database. I opened the new schema in the Authorization Manager, on exit I agreed to write the new information to the Directory database and restarted Vault Administration Console. This finally solved the issue. Thanks for your advice! :)