Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV8 folders deleted from mailbox still show in Advanced Find

Francis-T
Level 4
Partner

Hi,

Looking into a query from a customer regarding deleted folders still showing via the Enterprise Vault Advanced Find.

Once in the advanced find, if you select 'Browse' beside 'In Folder', you can expand the folder structure and see folders that have been deleted form the mailbox.

I've recreated the issue by creating a folder, adding a test item and sending it to the vault, then run archiving on my mailbox and confirm that the folder is visible via Advanced Find.

If I then delete the item and folder, rerun archiving and sync it as well (selecting the option to sync folder structure and permission), the deleted folder is still visible via Advanced Find.

Reading through the forums, alot of the same symptoms seem to apply to Archive Explorer, and the resolution seems to be the reg key mentioned http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH47918 but I can't find any confirmation that the same applies to folders visible via Advanced Find or what the default behaviour for folders deleted from the mailbox should be.

At the minute I'm assuming deleted folders are retained in the vault indefinitely?

If I wait 32 days (for EV8) then add the above reg key and restart the storage service, it will remove the folders, but as a one off task, the reg key would need to be changed next time I want to remove the folders again?

Any info/help appreciated.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Do you see that folder in the Archvie explorer ? The folder view in the archive explorer and advacne serach is generated by the the entires you have in the database .

you may refer the followig query to see the folder view 

USE EnterpriseVaultDirectory

SELECT * from ArchiveFolderView 

WHERE ArchiveVEID = 'UserArchiveID'

the document you are refering is to delete empty folder from archvie explorer . When you move any shortcut within the mailbox the archiving task update the location of the item . but If you delete the folder which had archvied item in it  , the archiving task will not delete the folder from its database as it woul dhave items in it . 

So if the folder you see in the advance serah does not have any item , you may refer the above docement and delete that folder . 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Do you see that folder in the Archvie explorer ? The folder view in the archive explorer and advacne serach is generated by the the entires you have in the database .

you may refer the followig query to see the folder view 

USE EnterpriseVaultDirectory

SELECT * from ArchiveFolderView 

WHERE ArchiveVEID = 'UserArchiveID'

the document you are refering is to delete empty folder from archvie explorer . When you move any shortcut within the mailbox the archiving task update the location of the item . but If you delete the folder which had archvied item in it  , the archiving task will not delete the folder from its database as it woul dhave items in it . 

So if the folder you see in the advance serah does not have any item , you may refer the above docement and delete that folder . 

Francis-T
Level 4
Partner

Thanks Rahul,

Archive Explorer isn't enabled for user's, but I'll set up a test policy for my account and confirm if it matches the advanced search.

There are no items in the test deleted folders.

Francis

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hang on a minute, when you say advanced find, you mean Outlooks advanced find and not archive explorer of search.asp? Do you use virtual vault or vault cache at all?
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Francis-T
Level 4
Partner

Hi,

It's Outlooks option to search the vault, then Advanced Find in the top right corner.

When the advanced find options open, if we select to search in a folder, previously deleted folders are still visible.

Vault Cache is disabled via the desktop policy.

Have enabled Archive Explorer on a test policy and confirmed I can also see the deleted folders in there.

Waiting on one of our SQL people running the query RahulG provided to confirm if the folder show via it as well.

Francis

JesusWept3
Level 6

Well the thing is Archive Explorer derives its folders purely from the ArchiveFolder table in the EnterpriseVaultDirectory database, the folders in Outlook is purely from Exchange.

What is in the ArchiveFolder table has no correlation as to what should exist in Outlook at all.
So for instance say you have \Inbox\MySubFolder\ and then archive some items, in Archive Explorer you would see \Inbox\MySubFolder\ .... you then delete the folder from outlook so it doesn't exist, you will still see \Inbox\MySubFolder\ but NOT in Outlook.

Similarly if you have Vault Cache and Virtual Vault enabled, and you create a \Inbox\MySubFolder2, you would see that in Archive Explorer and Virtual Vault but you would NOT see it in your actual mailbox.

So what are your steps to reproduce the issue?
Simply create a folder, delete it and then search for it?

Are you absolutely sure they don't have a similarly named folder somewhere else?

i.e if you have \Inbox\MySubFolder\ and then delete it, you search it and its actually returning
\AnotherFolder\MySubFolder ??

JesusWept3
Level 6

So i just tested this on mine and i could not reproduce the issue

1. Created a folder called \Inbox\TestFolder\
2. Copied items to \TestFolder\
3. Archived the \TestFolder\ and all its contents and synced Virtual Vault
4. Confirmed the folder and the items were in Virtual Vault and Archive Explorer
5. Performed a search in Advanced Find for In Folder - Contains - "Test"
6. Results show the items that i'd archived in \TestFolder\
7. Highlighted the folder and hit delete, folder is now \Deleted Items\TestFolder
8. Performed the same Advanced Search test, again items are in \Deleted Items\TestFolder
9. Purged the deleted items folder, \TestFolder\ was now fully deleted
10. Performed the same search, test folder no longer appears as a result
11. Searched for emails i knew the subject of, no results returned
12. Changed it to go from my mailbox to my virtual vault, i get results
13. Checked Virtual vault and the folder is still there

This was on Outlook 2010 with the EV10 lite client against EV9 SP3
Whatever is happening is not an EV issue.
Either the folder being returned exists in the \Deleted Items\ folder, or it simply exists as another name somewhere else in their inbox under another folder

Francis-T
Level 4
Partner

Almost exactly the same process that I was following except for purging the dleted items folder.

Doing that now and will check it again.

We're using EV 8.0.4 and Outlook 2007

Francis

Francis-T
Level 4
Partner

Nope, still there unfortunately.

My process;

1. Created subfolder below Inbox, Folder3
  2. Move item to it
  3. Send item to vault
  4. From the EV console I run the archiving task against my mailbox
  5. Also sync my mailbox and tick the option to sync folder hierarchy and permissions
  6. From my Outlook client, Archive Explore shows Inbox\Folder3. EV Advanced Find also shows Inbox\Folder3 when selecting which folder to search in
  7. Delete the item from Folder3 and also delete the folder
  8. From the EV console I run the archiving task against my mailbox
  9. Also sync my mailbox and tick the option to sync folder hierarchy and permissions
  10. Back to the Outlook client and I still see Inbox\Folder3 in Archive Explorer and EV Advanced Find

This is using a test account with no other subfolders that Folder3 has been moved to, it's defintely deleted from Exchange as it isn't visible anywhere below the mailbox.

It only shows up in EV archive explorer and the Vault search.

Vault Cache is also disabled on the desktop policy

Francis

JesusWept3
Level 6

sorry, i thought you were talking about Outlook Advanced Find.
So you are talking about the Search button for EV and still seeing the folders?

If that is the case then yeah, back to what was being said earlier, the folder is going to exist in EV if there are archived items in it, if its empty then you have to use the DeleteEmptyFolders or use Virtual Vault to delete the folder manually

Francis-T
Level 4
Partner

Thanks both of you.

So is the default behaviour to retain deleted folders indefinitely?

Have had a read through various docs and not found anything official (probably not reading the right docs!)

We're not using Vault Cache, so no Virtual Vault unfortunately for users to remove the deleted folders from their archives, looks like our only option with the current setup is use the reg key and restart the Storage service?

Francis

JesusWept3
Level 6
Or go in and out of backup mode, that's the only way for empty folders to be deleted