cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV80SP2/3 - Using OVEnabled and Virtual Vault on machines that have OVEnabled set.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hello all,

In the thread https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/disable-vault-cache-desktops Wayne indicates how to disable VaultCache alltogether for users (desktop users)
I've tested, and yes, that works.

Question on Virtual Vault.

Will Virtual Vault be useable on these desktops, having the OVEnabled key set?
I know in SP3 there is the ' does not require ost file'  option, but I am not getting it clear to how that works.

In our environment, we have 2 OU's, desktop and laptop.
I set the registry key using a GPO on the desktops.
I do want my desktop users to have Virtual Vault (once upgraded to SP3).

As I cannot differentiate between users via a provisioninggroup, if I set the policy to do full download (so laptop users have there Vault Cache) can I also set (same policy!) to have everyone get the metadata? I don't believe so, but please prove me wrong...

It is a little hard for me to explain, but below another description.
I cannot set a policy for desktop/laptop users, as I cannot differentiate between them. I plan to use a loginscript/gpo to set the OVEnabled registrykey on desktops only.
I set the policy to enable Vault Cache and Virtual Vault.
Does that indicate that laptop users will get Vault Cache AND Virtual Vault, and desktop users will only get Virtual Vault.

Thanks for thinking with me.

Gertjan

Regards. Gertjan
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
This proves to be too difficult to configure. We'll be allowing vc and vv for all our users.
Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

GertjanA
anyone? Am I truly the only one having this problem?
Regards. Gertjan

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi Gertjan,

It depends on your policy setup dude...

So I still don't understand 100% what you are asking, I have read your post 3 times.

With OVRequireOfflineStore you do not need and OST to get VV, but you will need VC to get VV.

So you can disbale users from having VC but they wont have VC then, You can still have VC with users that dont have OSTs

GertjanA
This is close but...

In my environment, I cannot distinguish between USERS to enable/disable VaultCache.
There is only a distinction between MACHINES possible. (ie an OU called Laptops has the machinenames of the laptops, and desktop has the machinenames of the desktops).

There is no possibility to do (for instance) an LDAP query to select the laptop-users only.

So, if i have the ad group run a wmi-query during logon of a user, that establishes if a machine is a desktop or laptop, then, when it is a desktop, set the key to disable VV, can I then still set the policy to allow ALL users to have VC AND VV?

I will try to think of an better way to describe it.

Regards. Gertjan

GregRountree
Level 4
Partner
I am testing 2 different types of users. One that has a Workstation Thin Client with 500mb HD and the rest of the users that might have 1 or 2 machines. I have created a specific policy where the thin client gets Vault Cache with "Do not store any items in cache" and in the Advance settings under Vault Cache "Offline Store Required" set to NO.

With these setting I hope nothing will be left on the thin client but the strain on the EV server might be an issue. I am guessing around 8,000 users doing this. If my users have both a laptop and desktop they will have both Vault Cache and Offline Vault.

If the user has both a desktop and laptop AND logs into a Thin Client I am not sure how I am going to set it. I see your issue. You want it to be both Machine based and/or user based correct?

That would help me out too. If I figure it out I will post.

GregRountree
Level 4
Partner

You want everyone to have VC and V V but if they log into a desktop then disable V V. Correct?

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Gertjan,

I think that's pretty simple.

Lets start from scratch, VV does not require an OST.  If you enable VV it will use VC, so therefore if you use OVEnabled set to false that will stop anyone from having VV.

Set OVRequireOfflineStore
Give Everyone VC
Give Everyone VV
Then set OVEnabled to disable the users who do not want VV & VC

Does that clear it up...

GertjanA
1x = correct

Wayne,
If I understand correctly what you are saying:

Set in te policy that VV does not require an ost.
Let EV build the vault-cache and the virtual vault for every user, either having a laptop or a desktop.
Set ovenabled using loginscript to disable VV and VC on desktops.

Now, what happens if I want ALL users to have VV (as this is a very nice feature) but only the laptop users to have the full VC also.

I've been pulling my hear out (to save a trip to the hairdresser is a good plus), but I cannot see how to do this in my situation. I do get your way.

I am afraid I am going to have to get everyone a VC to make sure everyone gets a VV

Thanks.
Regards. Gertjan

GertjanA
This proves to be too difficult to configure. We'll be allowing vc and vv for all our users.
Regards. Gertjan