cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV80SP2/SP3 - Virtual Vault with ovenabled registry key.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hello all,

I am running into the following issue, I am not getting this clear. If anyone knows answers to my questions.....

We have all our Outlook clients in Cached Mode.
We have an OU for laptops, and an OU for desktops. It has been confirmed by the AD-team that these OU's are filled correctly.

I want to use the ovenabled registry key to disable Offline Vault on the desktops.
(according to a posting from Wayne H., the key is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\kvs\enterprise vault\client\Ovenabled - dword value set to 0.
When the key is set and  Outlook is started, the key is moved to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Client\VaultCacheStoreID\. This effectively disables creation of OV on the machine)

In EV80SP3, you have this nice Virtual Vault. (we'll probably install sp3 in januari 2010)
On laptops, nothing will change. They will get the ' full'  Virtual Vault.
On desktops, I would like to have the Virtual Vault with only Metadata.

The questions are:
When using a policy, setting the registry key on the desktops, will that indeed disable creation of VV on the desktops?
When using this policy, will the VV work on desktops?
Can I create two policies, to have laptops get the full VV, and the desktops the VV with only metadata?
What should the target be for these policies? (As I do not have the possibility to target users, only machines, I am not sure I can differentiate to have one group get the full VV, and one have the metadata VV)

I think the main question is: how to make sure laptops get the full VV, and desktops only the ' metadata'  VV.

Thanks for thinking with me.

Gertjan,

Regards. Gertjan
3 REPLIES 3

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Noone having sort of an answer?

thx
Regards. Gertjan

MatsHolm
Level 4
Partner Accredited
I'll try your questions...

When using a policy, setting the registry key on the desktops, will that indeed disable creation of VV on the desktops?

-Yes since VV is a part of Vault Cache you'll need Vault Cache.

When using this policy, will the VV work on desktops?

-Nope, see above

Can I create two policies, to have laptops get the full VV, and the desktops the VV with only metadata?

-Sure, two different desktop policys will give you the possibility to have laptop get full download to Vault Cache (VV) and Desktop only header

What should the target be for these policies? (As I do not have the possibility to target users, only machines, I am not sure I can differentiate to have one group get the full VV, and one have the metadata VV)

-tricky question, sorry no answer from me on this one right now...

/Mats

BravoZulu
Level 5
Hi Gertjan,

I followed this post and the following threads regarding this issue;

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/ev80sp23-using-ovenabled-and-virtual-vault-machines-have-oven...
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/disable-vault-cache-desktops#comment-3087051

I'm working on this issue at the moment.  The OVEnabled regkey isn't the key (mind the pun) for this issue as the default is 1 - enabled.  It's going to be a combination of identification (finding laptop users) and the following 2 regkeys;

OVRequireOfflineStore = 1 (Default)
OVContentDownload = 1 (Default)

Everyone will have Vault Cache enabled (i.e. desktop and laptop users),  we just need to identify the laptop users and apply those keys.  The default for the desktop users will be;

OVRequireOfflineStore = 0 - This will be 0 in the policy for desktop users (not required)
OVContentDownload =  0 - This will be 0 for desktop users (Item headers only)

I will also apply the OVMDCSyncFrequencyInSecs regkey to the desktop users (certainly not laptop users) so that the frequency of VV is better than every 24hours!

For Example;

OVMDCSyncFrequencyInSecs = 300 (5 minutes)

Let me know if you have made any head way with this?

Thanks,
BZ