Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV80SP2 - 'backup journal archive'

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Damn.

Was sent the release notes for 80SP2.
In the upgrade pdf (well done guys!) there is a mentioning of the following:

Enterprise Vault 8.0 always creates Watchfile database records for items from journal mailboxes, regardless of the safety copies setting.

G'damn.
Now I need to figure out how to keep this working, while I know our backup department is unable to backup our 1 TB datadisks (of the journalservers, and I am talking 9 journalservers.)

Not amused.

Rest looks fine. Really curious to see if upgrading/installing OWA extentions will be as easy as described.

Gertjan

Regards. Gertjan
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
hiya,

I got that added.  So the issue is we have customers who have been upgrading and then end up calling due to lots of watchfile records and don't understand what's going on.

Obviously this isn't new to V8.0 sp2 but I wanted it spelt out since it's a call generator.

Since v8 filewatch processing does a bit more validation (which is important because you could be SIS'ing with these items later on).  So we still post process right away that is in the case of journalling delete the item from the journal mailbox,  but you really need to be signalling to EV in some way that it is secure.  So either you back it up or use trigger file or whatever and take ev in and out of back up (ensuring sql etc is backed up)

Mike

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

TonySterling
Gertjan,
The items are removed from the journal mailbox as always, one difference will be that the usage.asp will show the items awaiting backup.

Is that the main concern?

Regards,
Tony

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Yes, what's wrong with that?
It's just more DB entries, everything else should be fine?

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
hiya,

I got that added.  So the issue is we have customers who have been upgrading and then end up calling due to lots of watchfile records and don't understand what's going on.

Obviously this isn't new to V8.0 sp2 but I wanted it spelt out since it's a call generator.

Since v8 filewatch processing does a bit more validation (which is important because you could be SIS'ing with these items later on).  So we still post process right away that is in the case of journalling delete the item from the journal mailbox,  but you really need to be signalling to EV in some way that it is secure.  So either you back it up or use trigger file or whatever and take ev in and out of back up (ensuring sql etc is backed up)

Mike

GertjanA

Hi all,

Thanks.
It's just more db-entries..

In an environment with over 75.000.000 mails a year, and growing, we're not talking 'more'
We'll have loads of watchfile items. I was wondering why this has been done (answered by Mike)

I realize I will need to plan something (most likely triggerfile) to clear our watchfile. After migration to Exchange2007, we'll have only 4 journal archiving servers instead of 9. Imagine the 'just more db-entries' on that. Ever since using journalarchiving, it has been decided not to back up the journal partitions. They are 1 TB, and hardly keeping up (most have less than 5% free). According to our backup-team, it is not possible to back it up in a reasonable amoutn of time. Not even using snapshots, raw disks copies or whatever else is possible.

Hence my surprise I now am forced to do some sort of backup (or pretend to)..

Gertjan

Regards. Gertjan

Itzik_Gur
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Hi Gretjan,

If yourJournal  Vault Storesare so large, why not use the Vault Store Partitionning feature?

You can close a partition after say 500GB (with EV 8.0 the process can even be automated). Once the partition is closed, get the backup team to back it up once (or twice if you want to be very sure) and then they can take it out of the backup cycle and never backup again.

This way you can control the maximum size of the backups and still protect your data!

Just an idea?

Itzik

Andrew_Tankersl
Level 6
Are the SP2 release notes available yet? I didn't see them anywhere on the support site...

GertjanA
Hi Andrew,

The notes are (as far as I know) not yet public available. They were sent to us by someone due to us being a large environment, and doing some beta-testing on some topics.

Gertjan
Regards. Gertjan

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
@Andrew,

Did you find what you were looking for?

Check out : https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/enterprise-vault-v8-sp2-now-available and http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/308966.htm
Working for cloudficient.com