cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV9 Backups in a Multi-Server Environment

Elio_C
Level 6

Having now split Indexing and Storage on my EV9 systems how do I configure the backups?

In the previous single server model I ran a PowerShell to set/clear backup mode as part of the backup job. I guess I can update the script including all servers, but which server backup job do I tag it to? My concern is (if this is possible) having Indexes in backup mode but archiving occuring and vice-versa and any implications?

Am I on the right track, any suggestions.

Thanks,

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

wouldnt you want all components in backup mode for the duration of the backups of all components? otherwise you would end up with inconsistencies across the databases, vault store partitions, and indexes if you had to restore. you can still have seperate backup policies for each component but no, you dont want archiving to occur while you're trying to backup the indexes.

View solution in original post

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

I would run a separate backup job for each server, but within the same timeframe to maintain consistency.  You didn't mention your SQL backups, but they should be included during the same time.

Elio_C
Level 6

Thanks for the inputs, these are exactly the questions I had and just couldn't get my head around it all. Writing it up and asking a question on the forum usually focuses my mind.

I think I'm going to coordinate the backups for the 2 servers (partition data and indexes) and have the below triggered by the Vault Store backup (it should take much longer to run than the indexes)

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\PowerShell.exe -psconsolefile "D:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {set-vaultstorebackupmode -name 'EV Vault Store Group' -evservername Server1 -evobjecttype vaultstore}"

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\PowerShell.exe -psconsolefile "D:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {Set-IndexLocationBackupMode -EVServername Server2}"

Any thoughts?

When the partition completes it will clear backup mode for both Store Group and Indexes.

SQL backups already happen during the same window.

7 REPLIES 7

AndrewB

wouldnt you want all components in backup mode for the duration of the backups of all components? otherwise you would end up with inconsistencies across the databases, vault store partitions, and indexes if you had to restore. you can still have seperate backup policies for each component but no, you dont want archiving to occur while you're trying to backup the indexes.

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

I would run a separate backup job for each server, but within the same timeframe to maintain consistency.  You didn't mention your SQL backups, but they should be included during the same time.

Elio_C
Level 6

Thanks for the inputs, these are exactly the questions I had and just couldn't get my head around it all. Writing it up and asking a question on the forum usually focuses my mind.

I think I'm going to coordinate the backups for the 2 servers (partition data and indexes) and have the below triggered by the Vault Store backup (it should take much longer to run than the indexes)

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\PowerShell.exe -psconsolefile "D:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {set-vaultstorebackupmode -name 'EV Vault Store Group' -evservername Server1 -evobjecttype vaultstore}"

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\PowerShell.exe -psconsolefile "D:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {Set-IndexLocationBackupMode -EVServername Server2}"

Any thoughts?

When the partition completes it will clear backup mode for both Store Group and Indexes.

SQL backups already happen during the same window.

AndrewB

seems like that should do it. keep in mind that you can backup closed partitions less frequently than open partitions. just as a matter of interest, what are you using for backups?

Elio_C
Level 6

Thanks Andrew,

We use CommVault and I'm only talking about the open partition backups. Our closed partitions are on a monthly schedule.

Elio_C
Level 6

Thank you both for your repsonses.

AndrewB

sounds good. i think you're all set.