cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV9 Event 41261 Failure

lnino1982
Level 4

Hi,

we are using Enterprise Vault 9.0.1.1073 and Exchange 2007 in our company.

All went fine, but at some day we saw the following error message.

We are getting the error with the ID 41261. I have read many threads in this and other sites, but I wasn't able to solve my issue.

Maybe you can help me.

It is more than 2 days since backup or replication was detected for one or more open partitions.

Open partitions with unsecured items scanned: 1
Total open partitions: 1

List of partitions:
    Vault Store Ptn1

The "Vault Store Ptn1" has the status "Open".

When I have a look at the specific express vault store is looks like this.

error.PNG

We are using Symantec Backup Exec 2010 for backing up our servers. (Exchange Agent, SQL Agent and Open File Agent)

We split the Enterprise Vault Environment in two servers.

Server1 = Application Server

Server2 = SQL Server

I use the SQL Agent for backing up following databases:

EnterpriseVaultDirectory

EVVSExpressVaultStore_1

EVVSGExpressVaultStoreGroup_1_1

I am doing this with a trick I found on this site, by renaming "bedsev.dll" on the Backup Server, EV Server and Database Server.

Because we used for testing purpose the EV Agent some time ago.

Additionally I am backing up the folder of the Enterprise Vault server where the files of the "Express Vault Store" are located.

folder.PNG

I made two batch files for Pre and Post execution of the backup, like I found it on the symantec website.

SET

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\PowerShell -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {Set-VaultStoreBackupMode -Name 'Express Vault Store Group' -EVServerName EVSERVER -EVObjectType VaultStoreGroup}"
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\PowerShell -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {Set-IndexLocationBackupMode -EVServerName EVSERVER -EVSiteName 'VS Test'}"

CLEAR

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\PowerShell -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {Clear-VaultStoreBackupMode -Name 'Express Vault Store Group' -EVServerName EVSERVER -EVObjectType VaultStoreGroup}"
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\PowerShell -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {Clear-IndexLocationBackupMode -EVServerName EVSERVER -EVSiteName 'VS Test'}"

I am doing the following steps manually for testing purpose:

First I start the script for putting the "index" and "vault store groups" in backup mode.

Then I start a manual backup with symantec backup exec of the "Enterprise Vault Server = Server1" and the "Enterprise Vault DB Server = Server2".

After the backup is finished I am starting the script for clearing the backup mode.

Both batch files finishes without any error.

When I click on Re-run all checks, the result is the same. There is still the message with the ID 41261.....

Any ideas how I can solve this problem?

Thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

if you know for a fact that you are backing up your vault store partitions then you can switch the setting from archive bit to trigger file

How to use a trigger file (IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.txt or PartitionSecuredNotification.xml) for devices that do not support the Archive bit

Article:TECH35610  |  Created: 2004-01-19  |  Updated: 2014-05-02  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH35610

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

AndrewB

have you tried running sql maintenance on your vault store databases?

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH74666

lnino1982
Level 4

Hi AndrewB,

thanks for your reply.

I have configured the backup jobs like explained in the link.

The Backup of the databases works well, but the maintenance cleanup job fails.

It's the well known error: "Executing the query "EXECUTE master.dbo.xp_delete_file" -1073548784

Modifying the settings of the folder and file extensions won't give a positive result.

But I think the cleanup job isn't that important for this case. Or am I wrong?

So I tried following steps:

1) On the EV Server starting the batch file "EV_Set_Backup"

2) On the EV DB Server starting the backup job.

3) On the EV Server starting the batch file "EV_Clear_Backup"

4) On the EV Server starting the job "Re-Run All Checks"

But the error message "41261" is still here.

Any ideas?

AndrewB

it's possible that in this case sql maintenance might help. you can try to break out the maintenance tasks to seperate jobs instead of having them all in one or you can use some of the well-known scripts that are out there instead of the less-effective built-in ones in sql.

lnino1982
Level 4

Hi AndrewB,

thanks for your reply.

I have now seperated the Backup Task and the Maintenance Task. As you said, now both tasks finish without a problem. But the error with the ID 41261 is still there.

Screen Before Changing to Job Seperation:

Before.PNG

Screen After Changing to Job Seperation:

After.PNG

When I look in to the database properties of the EV DBs I can see, that the last backup state is okay. (see picture)

last_backup.PNG

Here is the procedure I follow:

1) On the EV Server starting the batch file "EV_Set_Backup"

2) Start Backup_EV_Databases Plan on SQL Server

3) Start Backup_EV_Maintenance Plan on SQL Server

5) On the EV Server starting the batch file "EV_Clear_Backup"

6) On the EV Server starting the job "Re-Run All Checks"

Any ideas what I can do, to get rid of this Error ID 41261?

Thanks a lot for your help and time.

greetings Nino

AndrewB

we so you've validated that you're backing up the databases. however, the warning/error you're getting is saying that your vault store partition haven't been backed up. can you validate those? and are they set to use the archive bit or a trigger file?

lnino1982
Level 4

Hi AndrewB,

great, so we went one step forward. :)

I have one "vault store group" with two partitions. (see screenshot).

I have no idea, why there are two partitions, i just found this installation like it is now.

vault1_0.PNG

The stores are both located on C:\EVStorage\*.* on Server XXX

Vault Store Ptn2:

vault2_new.png

vault_backup_2.PNG

Vault Store Ptn1:

vault1_new.png

vault_store_1.PNG

Symantec Backup Exec 2012:

To backup the vault store partition I am using Backup Exec 2012 with a normal file agent. I did not set any special settings. Always like on other file servers.

path_EV.PNG

AndrewB

if you know for a fact that you are backing up your vault store partitions then you can switch the setting from archive bit to trigger file

How to use a trigger file (IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.txt or PartitionSecuredNotification.xml) for devices that do not support the Archive bit

Article:TECH35610  |  Created: 2004-01-19  |  Updated: 2014-05-02  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH35610

lnino1982
Level 4

Hi AndrewB,

thanks for the article.

I decided to use the "IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.txt" file in combination with my written pre and post scripts triggered from Backup Ecec 2012.

After some testing runs, the result is great. "No problems Detected"

Now Unbenannt.PNG

Thank you so much for your help.

I really appreciate your support.

Are you also familiar with Backup Exec 2012. I have there an issue too. :)

greetings Nino

AndrewB

BE has its own forums where experts are waiting to answer your questions. please dont forget to mark the solution.