cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV9 - Index locations out of space

NaturesRevenge
Level 5

I am learning that Enterprise Vault v9 isn't particularly fond of running out of storage at the index locations. I'm also discovering that "OPEN" and "CLOSED" index locations do not operate with the traditional interpretations of those basic words.

The administrator's guide states:

"If you are running out of disk space for indexes, you can create new index locations for the Indexing service to use to store its indexes. You can add more locations if needed. When you add a new location, the Indexing service may choose to use it when creating indexes for a new archive. If you want to force the Indexing service to use a particular location, use Close Location to close all the other locations, thus leaving just one location open.When you close a location, you prevent the Indexing service from creating new indexes there. This does not stop the Indexing service from adding to existing indexes, so you must take action before space runs out."

I closed every existing index location. I had more SAN storage allocated to the EV server. I created new index locations on this new storage and added them as OPEN in the indexing service. EV still wants to use the old (CLOSED) locations and ignore the new (OPEN) locations.

So what's an EV admin to do when the storage locations are down to 4% availability? I have additional storage (SAN) allocated to my EV server, but it appears there is no easy way to force EV to use these locations and never again use the locations that are out of space. Additionally, what I would REALLY like to do is to move a portion of the existing indexes over to the new LUNs, to free up some space on the existing storage. It looks like I'll have to modify SQL tables and that always worries me. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Yes, what you are seeing is the way it is for EV 9 and below, this changes with EV 10 and it is easier to manage.  What you need to do now, as you have found, is move a couple of your Index volumes.  It really isn't too difficult.  :)  See the TN's below.

What happens when closing an Index location and opening another one

Article:TECH55944  |  Created: 2007-01-04  |  Updated: 2013-04-25  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH55944

How to move Enterprise Vault (EV) indexes that are managed by the same EV server .

Article:TECH35596  |  Created: 2010-01-27  |  Updated: 2012-04-12  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH35596

Hopefully you have more than one root folder. :)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Yes, what you are seeing is the way it is for EV 9 and below, this changes with EV 10 and it is easier to manage.  What you need to do now, as you have found, is move a couple of your Index volumes.  It really isn't too difficult.  :)  See the TN's below.

What happens when closing an Index location and opening another one

Article:TECH55944  |  Created: 2007-01-04  |  Updated: 2013-04-25  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH55944

How to move Enterprise Vault (EV) indexes that are managed by the same EV server .

Article:TECH35596  |  Created: 2010-01-27  |  Updated: 2012-04-12  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH35596

Hopefully you have more than one root folder. :)

NaturesRevenge
Level 5

Yeah, I do have two root folders. (Thank you professional services!)

I have read these two articles before; thank you for referencing them. At the bottom of TECH55944, it states:

If running out of disk space, perform one of the following options:

Enterprise Vault 2007 and above

Add more space to the existing location.
Move the indexes to a new location with more space.
Move individual indexes to the new location using the Vault Administration Console.

I went with the last option - using the VAC to move individual indexes. Just be very cautious with this step, because the way the help file expains how things work vs. how things ACTUALLY work are completely different. The help file implies that you can individually pick index locations and use the "Change Location" button to modify just those index locations. Wrong! No matter which current index location you have selected, the "Change Location" button will change all of them to the same single location. This behavior is not catastrophic as long as you are expecting it!

Cdee
Level 6

i had same problem in my enviroment and i did a manual move to users index

bu I noticed one thing is after few days few of users index use to get failed although i used to get auto reparied but during those period it used to spike up the indexserver.exe which used to cause a problem. Thanks this solved in ev 10.