cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV9 Vault Store setup question

SMITAdmin
Level 3

Hello,

I'm trying to determine the best route to take in setting up Vault Stores. We will be utilizing Exchange mailbox archiving, journaling, and file system archiving. We licensed DA as well. Should mailbox, journaling, and file system archiving all be separate vault stores? I plan on using one vault storage group so I can take advantage of SIS, but I am a little confused on if I should create multiple vault stores or just put everything into one store. If it matters, items coming from the File system archiving may have a different retention time than email.

I'd appreciate any advice or guidance on what the best way to set that up would be.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

I would recommend that you create separate vault stores for each of the data types.  Having a separate Journal vault store, email vault store and file vault store would give you much more flexibility in the future for growth, such as moving one of the vault stores to a separate EV archiving server when the time comes.   I would also give each of them a separate retention category, again, so that you have more flexibity for future data mangement.  With the advent of the vault store groups you will have OSIS across the various vault stores so storage would not be significantly impacted.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

I would recommend that you create separate vault stores for each of the data types.  Having a separate Journal vault store, email vault store and file vault store would give you much more flexibility in the future for growth, such as moving one of the vault stores to a separate EV archiving server when the time comes.   I would also give each of them a separate retention category, again, so that you have more flexibity for future data mangement.  With the advent of the vault store groups you will have OSIS across the various vault stores so storage would not be significantly impacted.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I agree with separating them into different Vault stores but put all the vault stores in the same Vault Store Group so you get the best SIS.

SIS is only within a Vault Store group. It does not traverse Vault Store groups

Separate retention categories is the best solution. Regarding FSA and Mailbox archiving. you should look deeply into the retention categories from the beginning. Some executives and different levels of management often want longer retention than the normal worker bees so plan your retention out carefully from the beginning that way it wont be so painful to increase or decrease by group later

SMITAdmin
Level 3

Thanks maxwits & Scanner001, that's what I am going to do. i appreciate the advice!